My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way

This song was used as the background to one of the most effective television commercials which I have ever seen. As far as I can remember it was made by the McCann-Ericson agency.

But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away

The product being offered was the RUC's (Northern Ireland Police Service) confidential telephone line. This let concerned people who had knowledge of terrorist activity leave anonymous tip-offs.

He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
"Can you teach me to throw?"
I said, "Not today, I got a lot to do"
He said, "That's ok"

The advert told the story of a man involved on the fringes of an unidentified terrorist group. The song played all the way through, and there was no narration or dialogue. The gist was that this guy was missing out on spending time with his young son because he was too busy driving getaway cars for pub shootings (graphically shown), serving time in prison and the like.

As in the song he eventually loses touch with his boy.

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time"

Years later, we see the son grown up. He has no time to talk to his reformed father because he's on the way to machine-gun down a rival/enemy whilst his son looks on, hands covering his ears, splattered with blood.

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
Yeah, my boy was just like me

It still brought a lump to my throat when I seen it on a compilation show recently. My flatmates stood round open mouthed.