Solid modeling is a subset of 3d modeling where (usually binary) operations on solids are used to construct the final, solid object.

This is different from other types of 3d modeling in that the object is represented as a solid object, rather than just the surface of the object.

Operations used to construct the solid include extrusion, where a face is moved through a vector to create a prism, or revolution, where a cross section is revolved about an axis. Binary operations include joining two solids into a single solid, or calculating the intersection to find the volumes common to both, or a cut which puts a hole in one object by removing the volume of the other.

Animation programs and many art programs use surfaces or wire frames rather than solids, as the concern is the superficial look of the object.

Solid modeling is used primarily in areas where the volume of the object is of concern, rather than the surface. The first major solid modeling package was BRL CAD which would trace solid objects with rays (any ray--light, x-ray, sound, missles, whatever). Current commercial solid modeling packages include SolidWorks, Pro/Engineer, SDRC I-DEAS and other Engineering CAD and CAD/CAM packages.