Themes in Frankenstein

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley’s Frankenstein is arguably, but commonly agreed to be one of the greatest literary works of all time. Published January 1st, 1818, the gothic science fiction novel set new boundaries for authors and readers that wouldn’t soon be forgotten. Some of the most recognized parts of the book are the remarkable themes strung throughout well-written plot, characters, and setting. All of this is also brought out through the almost “breakthrough” style of narration that sets the novel apart from all others. Throughout the book, references of unruly knowledge, nature, and passive women are strewn throughout. Though they may not all be totally relevant to any sort of social significance – even for the 19th century, when it was written – they still provide the story the means for which it would become one of the most respected novels ever. These themes are even further strengthened by Shelley’s impressive and innovative style. Even beyond the consideration of a worthy plot, which is basis for it’s own respect, she adds more to be considered with great characters and descriptively written settings. The characters of Elizabeth and Justine, among others, provided great support to the passive women theme. As well, the consistently visual and beautiful settings add a whole other dimension to the theme of nature. All of these are presented through a perfectly planned and laid out narrative from the perspective of Walton, the monster, and Victor, all of whom consistently contribute to the theme of dangerous knowledge. Though the novel may be brief, it certainly does not lack in writing.

One of the more predominate themes in the novel seems to be that of perilous knowledge. However, it’s most present in the early to middle stages of the novel through as Victor becomes ever more delirious. Even as we learn in the very first few chapters of the book, Victor becomes obsessed with his search for knowledge. As a child, he found great interest in natural science and the writings of Agrippa, Paracelsus, and Magnus. It could even be said that the lightening storm he witnesses and the devastating force he attributes to it foreshadows his later creation of the destructive monster. After attending university and quickly taking great interest in his studies, the real idea of dangerous knowledge comes forth when he secludes himself from everything and begins work on the monster. With all of the knowledge he had gained about nature as a child and through his readings and lessons, the search for even more knowledge drove him to insanity. No amount was too much for him, and he could only have proven it by playing God, which is exactly what he did. Here is an excerpt from Chapter 5 on Victor’s reflection on the creation of the monster:

The different accidents of life are no so changeable as the feelings of human nature. I had worked hard for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life into an inanimate body. For this I had deprived myself of rest and health. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart.

It’s clear that Victor’s search for knowledge (and even that which he already had gained up to this point) have driven him over the edge. He brought himself out of a safe and normal society only to put himself in danger; even himself admitting that he was being deprived of his health under his own means. This is all besides the fact that the monster he had so passionately created went on to kill several people. Victor’s knowledge that was once a gift had quickly turned into an undeniable crisis – for himself, and for all of close society.

Though it’s probably not the strongest theme of the novel, it can be seen that female roles in the novel Frankenstein are anything but practical. There are many characters to look at as well: Caroline Beaufort, Elizabeth, and Justine are the major contributions to the motif. This isn’t just some arbitrary premise either, which can be seen in Mary Shelley’s biography. Shelley was born to Mary Wollstonecraft, who, asides from being an author herself, was also a fairly well known 18th century feminist. One of her most recognized works was A Vindication of the Rights of Women that was written as a response to the commonly ordered “proper” female behavior. Shelley really had important things to say with the introduction of such obviously passive women, making this theme the closest to any sort of social commentary.
Besides being simply passive, all of the major female characters of the novel also have something else in common: they all find their eventual demise – not one of them lives. None of them, it can be seen, play any significant role in relation to Victor, and this even so much goes for the most important women in his life. His mother, Caroline, for instance, is rarely heard of beyond the first two chapters and is only known to have been nothing more than just another housewife, taking care of her children. This is a very typically passive quality, quite obviously in fact. Even Elizabeth, the adopted daughter of the Frankenstein family and Victor’s lover, behaves in a highly inactive manner. She proves no real contribution other than waiting around for Victor, her future husband, to return so they can start a family of their own. Yet again, this could almost be perceived as the “typical” female role when compared to the role of the “typical” man.
With these two characters put into view, it’s easy to see how much this theme is truly reflected in the novel, but it stretches even further into somewhat less significant female characters. As William, Victor’s youngest brother, had been murdered back in Geneva, Justine (another child adopted into the Frankenstein family) finds herself in a bind, being the prime suspect of the killing. Even during the time when she is under the scrutiny of the town, her role is definitely passive. She makes little effort to prove her innocence and even accepts her false guilt after time. While her trial, she goes on to speak further about her accusation (from Chapter 8):

God knows,” she said, “how entirely I am innocent. But I do not pretend that my protestations should acquit me…”

And, of course like the rest, she would go on to die. Even less significant, but still however present, is the female monster which Victor promises to create for as a companion for the original. Although it’s arguable, this female character is also somewhat passive, as it doesn’t even achieve life and thus no outstanding role in the novel. Despite this, it is still there and contributes to the theme.

One of the most overshadowing themes of Frankenstein would seem to be that of nature. Every setting in the book seemed to be the ultimate embodiment of nature, both good and bad. Even the basic plot itself – the construction of an animate being by another person – reflects a certain interpretation of nature. As Victor grows up he finds in himself an intuitive interest in natural science and follows this throughout early life. As he finally grows up more and more, he tests his intelligence and the disposition of nature itself by attempting to create an animate creature, almost pretending to be God. Everywhere Victor and the monster travels, the reader is given descriptive passages of very naturist settings: from Walton’s ship in the icy ocean, to Victor’s travels through the mountains. Consider the following passage from Chapter 24:

I was answered through the stillness of night by a loud and fiendish laugh. It rang on my ears long and heavily and the mountains re-echoed it, and I felt as if all hell had surrounded me with mockery and laughter. (…)
(…) Suddenly the broad disk of the moon arose and shone full upon his ghastly and distorted shape as he fled with more than mortal speed.

Shelley’s returning use of nature imagery proves more use than just to create a beautiful mental image; it really contributes to the mood of each scene. As in the example above, the imagery of the night, the moon, and the mountains instantly bring feelings of loneliness, isolation, and fear, all of which compliment perfect the next arrival of the monster for Victor in the scene.
Even as the mood of the novel changes, the weather changes as well. Victor’s continuing confrontations with the monster are often met with less than ideal conditions, and his attempts at solitude and happiness are reflected with beautifully serene escapes.

Frankenstein is more than just any other novel. Shelley had created just as much something innovative and impressive in her novel as Victor had with the monster. Unlike the monster, however, Shelley’s book became a thing of true beauty and art. Like a lot of other authors, she used themes to make her book be something important and interesting to read. Unlike other authors, however, she used the characters, settings, imagery and narrative to represent something that no one had seen the likes of before. Dangerous knowledge, nature, and passive women all played huge roles as motifs in Frankenstein and added a whole new level to the writing. She did this with grace, sincerity, and in such a way that it would leave just about anyone who read it in complete awe.

 

Written for my grade 12 English class for my independent study novel.

Node your homework.