I get on the tram. I have do this every day. It's not so bad. I mean, it's a short ride, three stops - maybe four, I can never remember. Usually there's no-one on the tram going this direction, so I kind of settle down. You know that feeling? You're almost the end of the line. I sit down, taking advantage of the hush. I mean... there are rarely seats free, so to be offered is a snap-your-hand-off situation. Make no mistake, I'm offered... there's no-one here. That's an offer.

I usually take my backpack off regardless, just because it's easier to sit square in the seat then. I'd rather stow it somewhere, but if I have to I hold it. It's worth bugger all, in fact, but you can't shove it anywhere; it's either behind you or in front, never above. But what am I on about. I'm virtually alone. I'll hold it, all the same. I hate the crowds, you know. They're all too tight. It's been a long day, you know. How long does a body have to work to get some peace? There's only three other people in this whole car, now that I look around. A couple in the back, some guy, tapping away, and this girl at the front. The guy's caught my eye. He's pressing something, and every now and then he stares. It's weird in a way, almost like he fancies me. He's quite cute, in truth. Maybe I'll stare a while except... no, don't let him catch you. Ha... he nearly did. He's staring at me now, I bet, wondering who the hell I am...

Okay. You can look back now. Just don't let him catch me. Not that he would, I guess, tapping away like that. Woah... hang on - this is my favourite bit.

This bit, I can't tell you. It's always the same. I mean, I shouldn't listen to it out here, out in the... enough. That's enough.

Make it stop

stop...

stop

.

The tram comes to a stop. This is the end of the line. Please exit the tram. I exit. Quickly. I have nothing to say. The door is there... I head toward it. I have nothing to say.

Wordmongers' Masque