I've always been a bit perplexed by the outrage over these guys. Why does it matter whether the guys dancing on TV were in the studio when the record was recorded? It's interesting, sure -- in fact, it's pretty cool -- but it's got nothing to do with the record, which sucks or does not suck on its own merits, entirely apart from the funny pictures. When you hear a Milli Vanilli song on the radio, where exactly do these Fab and Rob characters come into the picture? They aren't singing, you can't see them dancing, okay. Forget about them. They're unrelated. Yet people act as if the charade thing somehow "invalidates" the record. Look, if you put a picture of Jimmy Page on the cover of a Rolling Stones record, what effect would that have? None. If you put a picture of Fab and Rob -- or DMan -- on the front of a Rolling Stones record, it's the same deal: Completely irrelevant. I can't imagine why anybody would be bothered by it. The stuff inside is the same.

The whole episode is an interesting marketing stunt, a fabulous hoax, and a window into the bizarre notions that people have about reality. It's got nothing to do with music, though.

It's not all that new, either. Tone-deaf actors in movie musicals have been lip-synching for decades. I've read that The Byrds didn't play most of the instruments on their first album; they were too raw, and the label brought in ringers. Ditto the Monkees, for God's sake.