Bombchu are an item which can be found in the N64 Zelda games Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. They are like bombs on wheels; point one in the direction you want it to go, and it will drive off in that direction. It will even climb up walls and onto ceilings if it doesn't hit anything. Bombchu will explode either when they hit something, or if the internal timer runs out (after about 10 seconds). They are exceedingly useful for solving many puzzles, and, in addition, they can be used as a weapon - particularly useful against Iron Knuckles.

The explosives and machinery of the Bombchu is covered by a gold case with two spiky metallic-blue things on the side. The casing is shaped - very vaguely - like a mouse, thus the name (see Chu for details). In Ocarina of Time, you can get Bombchu from the Bombchu Bowling Alley (they are one of the several prizes available there). Or, if you wait long enough, you will be given some bombchu at a point where you absolutely have to have them to complete a puzzle in the game.

In Majora's Mask, Bombchu are given an interesting twist. In addition to the bomb-on-wheels item from Ocarina of Time, bombchu also appear as living animals. They are rodents of unusual size which have bombs at the tips of their tails. When they see you, they will jump up and down in excitement, then run towards you. When they reach you, they will explode, killing themselves and hurting you quite badly. You will be able to hear them coming, from the sounds of the lit fuse, and the pattering of their little feet as they come to turn you into pink mist.

Bombchu (the animal) guards the entrance to Ikana Canyon, where the last temple is located. There, they will attack you en masse, and if you're not ready for it, you're dead. You will also run into them in ones and twos elsewhere in the game.

To kill a bombchu, try any of these:

  • Ride on Epona: they will explode when you run over them, but they won't hurt you.
  • Shoot them with arrows: they will explode instantly.
  • Block with your shield: when they charge at you, they will bounce of the shield, fly backwards, and explode a safe distance away. (This is what I usually do).
  • Wait until they notice you, and then run away. Eventually, their bomb will explode, blowing the poor 'lil critter clean away. Be careful, because Bombchu can run very fast. It helps to have the Rabbit Mask, or a good escape route (a ladder or bean plant).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.