Bubble Gum

1/2 oz. each: Vodka, Midori, Cream de Banana, Orange juice, Sour mix, 1/4 oz. Grenadine

Shake with ice & Strain into Rocks glass

Back to the Everything Bartender
Intriguing substance made of chemicals and flavors which, when chewed thoroughly, becomes very elastic and sticky. By means of a carefully placed tongue and gentle exhalation, a wad of bubble gum can be transformed into a glistening, distended balloon. Overfilling this rubbery construct causes it to burst with a satisfying pop!, frequently covering the blower with the adhesive remnants, sometimes permanently.

By comparison, chewing gum has less elasticity when masticated, but tends to stand up to more molar grinding.

People have been chewing rubbery stuff for thousands of years. The ancient Greeks and Mayans were fond of various kinds of tree gum; so were the Pilgrims, for that matter, who picked up the habit from the Native Americans. The oldest piece of chewing gum found by archeologists is 2,000 years old (Sweden). But it wasn't until 1928 that bubble gum (as opposed to chewing gum, which doesn't really make bubbles) was born. Invented by Walter Diemer, an accountant in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, it was an instant success.
Diemer can't really take all the credit for mass marketting this funforyourmouth adhesive, because chewing gum was on the scene for so many years prior. In Texas, it's a pretty well-known fact that the leader of the Mexican army that overran the Alamo, Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett and the rest of its glorious defenders, was the infamous General Santa Anna. But what's not so well known is that afterwards, the good General had a mid-life career change (not entirely of his own choice), leaving the military for the more lucrative? tree sap business.
A few years after his Alamo experiences, the former tactical specialist was in New York accompanied by a large quantity of sapodilla tree sap (otherwise known as chicle). The sapodilla is a tree common in the jungles of Mexico and Central America where the natives had been chewing on wads of its sap for thousands of years. In North America, the natives were found of chewing the resin of spruce or pine trees instead.
Attempting to be an entrepeneur, Santa Anna came to America in search of a wiley or ingenious Yankee who would be able to refine his chicle into a cheap substitute for rubber. The man of the hour was Thomas Adams, a New Jersey inventor who experimented with chicle for some time before giving up in frustration and tossing the stuff into his scrap pile.
All was not lost for Santa Anna or chewing gum fanatics for legend holds that Adams' own young son rescued some of this scrap rubber-like substance and popped it into his mouth. When his father discovered his son gnawing away on the stuff, a spark of inspiration occurred. Taking what he knew of chewing gum (such as that of tree resin, wax and even whale blubber) Adams refined and marketed within the year a brand new craze- Adams' Snapping and Stretching Gum. To improve the market he flavoured it first with sarsaparilla and then with other flavours.
The evolution of bubble gum and chewing gum has come a long way. The majority of chewing gum in our day is no longer from mother nature's plant life but rather from sweetened food-grade plastics. In Mexico, bubble gum is the gum of choice and oddly enough one of the most popular flavours is hot chili pepper, produced by Pow Wow Inc.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.