Basic Cod Cakes

-----

Time to hydrate: Cover salt cod with cold water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool in the water for two hours, then drain. Cover fish with fresh cold water and bring to a boil once more. Reduce the heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until fish is cooked through. Drain and let cool. Remove all bones. Flake fish fine with fork, search carefully for, and remove, any additional bones.

Meanwhile, scrub potatoes, rinse, and cover with water. Boil 20 to 30 minutes or until fork tender, then drain. Scrape off skins and put potatoes through a ricer. Add cod and beat to combine evenly. Add butter and anchovy paste. Beat eggs, then combine with fish and potato mixture thoroughly. (Note: Approximately 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes can be used here instead. Just add the flaked cod and beaten eggs then move on to the next step.)

Heat fat for frying to 375 °Fahrehheit on frying thermometer. Drop fish mixture by heaping tablespoon fulls, a few at a time, into hot fat. Fry 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, or until cakes are browned on both sides. Drain on thick paper towels on pan in hot oven with door left open. Reheat fat slightly after each batch is fried. Serve hot with ketchup, tartare sauce*, chili sauce, or cocktail sauce. Have lemon wedges and hot sauce available. A sprinkle of chopped, fresh parsley is always appreciated, if available (or desired).

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

* See also Rémoulade and Sauce gribiche.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.