1: A style of music emerging in the 70es with nice simple drum lines. Normally
  1. Basedrum
  2. Hihat
  3. Snaredrum
  4. Hihat
ad libitum (in half tempo - but there's no node/score editing funcs in html - this'll've to do) Style is also often featuring nice lead vocal by singers who actually know how to sing and some octavish baselines combined with some string sounds from some sh*tty synthesizers.
The style was/is so popular that a lot of bands today exist only to either perform disco tracks and others just try to make cover versions that are better than the original ones (hardly ever happens).

2: The short and common way of saying discotheque

3: One of Uma Thurman's shorter lines in Pulp Fiction
Album by Pet Shop Boys, released in 1986. The album contains long versions of old and new songs, perfect for a wild night at the disco. It includes the following tracks:

Although disco music is generally acknowledged as an important turning point in pop, both in that it was the beginning of the truly studio albums, as well as the origin of house, techno, and just about any other style that uses a beatbox, disco is much-maligned today. Unlike its successors, disco was usually recorded using traditional acoustic instruments. Music historians also will tell you that disco never went anywhere, that it just underwent metamorphosis.

Nevertheless, when the word disco is uttered, most people associate it with the dance music of the late seventies (or should I now specify 1970's?). In addition to the characteristics mentioned above by Cyt, most music in this style was in a minor key, used real string instruments (at least in the old days). The bass line is probably the most crucial part of this sound, since this is what identifies the sound to many people: usually fast, busy, and lots of walking bass and/or wide leaps.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.