Dear editors of Everything2,

Hi. My name is allseeingeye. I'm sure we have met on several occasions and I would like to think of myself as a friend to quite a few of you. The reason for this note is two-fold.

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your efforts at making Everything2 what it is today. It's a sad reality that the world today is a place less courteous to others, and civility is hard to come by. I feel that efforts should not be thankless, and I extend my profound personal gratitude to each and every one of you. I've been to a lot of places across the World Wide Web, but E2 is where I like to call my home. You hold the tide against staggering odds, and you should be proud of your part in something so unique and beautiful. Kudos. Bravo. Encore.

The other reason I had for writing today is this: Remember to have fun. I've been around for a little while, and I've done some stupid things. I would like to think that we all have. What I hadn't really considered until the other day was that it was somebody's job to wade through my stupidity and flights of fancy to refine a nugget of "node of the ages" quality. This must wear on you. This must make your trigger fingers itchy. When you feel that weight on your shoulders, please, know that most of us mean no ill. Remember, in the end, it's how you play the game.

Please don't take this as a dictum or directive, and if I over stepped my bounds, a thousand pardons. Read it as though said by an impish old man in the space between winks and you will understand my frame of reference.

Thanks again.

ASE

Editor logs?

I'm a new editor. This appointment, of which I am proud, came at a time when I'm insanely busy at work, casting for a new play (or rather, a revision of an earlier one), and overwhelmed with social events.

Yeah, it's a tough life.

I'm supposed to review The Confusion for the Bureau. I used to devour large books. I can barely get through ten or twenty pages of that thing a day.

And, while I have a half-dozen nodes in progress, I haven't been able to complete any of them, and have maintained my presence here by posting revisions of old movie reviews I've written.

Editor logs?

Riiiiight.

Mostly, I've used my new-found editorial powers to corrects typos. I know, however, that we've been called to do more than that.

And since my early days here, I've detested Don't force your gay philosophy on me. I once requested its deletion, and was told I was brave to do so. This made no sense to me. It consisted of a barely-focussed rant by a long-fled noder, responding to an inadequately-contextualized, long-forgotten students council election. Not exactly noding for the ages.

Following his rambling contribution, several others-- for this took place in the more chaotic times of 2000-- replied, in the manner of bbsers confronting a troll.

I asked about the node. No one could come up with a reason to keep it around. Icicle, one of the few-remaining noders to have a wu under that title, was happy to see it go. Bones pronounced it "shit."

It blowed up real good.

Of course, I then had to consider its twin, Don't force your anti-gay philosophy on me. Saige, who birthed that one, informs me that it is "ripe for serious deletion." Everyone else who posted there has fled, save Quizro, whose one-line contribution I've left unmolested, for the time being.

I found Quizro's quotation pretty funny, but I suspect it will follow its fellows to node heaven soon.

I don't see "killing" nodes as my main purpose here, but I am pleased to have taken out those.

I hope I'm not forcing my editorial philosophy on anyone.

I'm not doing much in the general way of things. It's really busy this time of year, and I've got papers etc. hanging over my head. Nevertheless, a few things have caught my attention, and I'll catalogue them here.

Red Pen: Typos, grammatical or spelling errors, etc., for fled or absent noders. Everyone who's been around in the last 10 days, I msg instead.
eucalyptus; Seamus Heaney; father figure; Ernie Kovacs; GB Xchanger; Classical Economics Reconsidered; Heroin (I deliberately avoided 2 of the wus, one because I can't figure out if the tense shifts are deliberate and the other because it was making my brain hurt); thermite; third-tier pretty boy (I wanted to take it out, but restrained myself);
Funeral Parlor: deletions.
AriZona Mocha Latté and AriZona Latté Supreme by tres equis (label transcriptions); You put your weed in there (per golFUR's request); sterling hayden by paddlefoot (accidental empty wu, someone fixed the capitalization); Why the world needs politicians by PsychIdiot (rampant typos and grammatical errors, and a weak, cyclical argument); Forbidden Planet (per Quizro's request); Woody Allen by allegory (list of quotations); Ladder-Jump by ThatGuy (vague and incomplete without ladder theory, made some suggestions for improvement)
Directing Traffic: The rare and beautiful firm link
Blue Pill to Blue Mass
Reincarnation: taken down so that it can come back better than before
I Came into the Unknown by eclectic (not copyright compliant, discussed it with the noder).

Mentees: A Feeble Mind (not around); Eusebio.

This editor thing is actually quite nice, if you don't think about the massive amount of trust and responsibility the position holds. I mean, I have to be nice, polite, and insightful simultaneously even if I come across something that would look better if it came out of the ass of a chicken. (not that there are many cases of this, but they occur.)

There are the successes, like asking B33r to clean up a wu and having it work out, and the failures, when the person you ask to fix a wu decides to delete it instead (name withheld to protect the innocent.) I have started to keep notes on who I have to follow up on just to keep on top of it all.

I've also started to send the latest newbies hello notes with offers of help, we'll see if any of them take me up on it.

Hey there.

I really need to let y'all in on a secret: I'm extremely bad at keeping records. Seriously. Last time I kept track of something with any degree of accuracy was when I was keeping tabs on what my old roommate owed me. That was three years ago and I haven't managed to pull it off since.

But I'm an editor on this here nodespace, so I assume I'm supposed to write something, if not meaningful, than at least memorable in this particular slot. You might have to settle for grammatically correct and well-punctuated.


- - -


In my first month as an editor I've tried to do my best to figure out both what I'm allowed to do and what I'm capable of. I've discovered that I have no problem pruning the database of e1 writeups that are either superseded, frivolous or annoying. I also have no problem dealing with new noders, making introductions and explaining how things work here.

My hesitation comes into play when I need to make an unpopular decision. I don't necessarily feel as if I have any right to make the kind of calls I'm now required to make. I'm not entirely comfortable being ruthless. Yet.

The upshot of this is: I've weighed every decision I've made so far and I haven't done anything I regret. I'm sorry I don't have figures for you, but you're just going to have to trust me.

Somebody here (fess up, whoever you are) handed me a Louisville Slugger. The assumption was that I knew how (and when) to swing it. I'm working on it.

I'll work on that whole note-taking thing as well. No promises.

The ball is round.
The game lasts ninety minutes.
These are facts.
Everything else is theory.

from Lola Rennt

    Klaproth has visited the following writeups, and reduced them to the nodegel from whence they came
  • Ys Books 1 and 2 by Dark Fact old E1 WU with little to say
  • Taco Bell by xunker superseded, not that I've stopped eating there or anything
  • Convolution by vireo superseded
  • Department of Redundancy Department by Seqram, WickerNipple, ryano, Roninspoon a series of short silly lines attempting to illustrate annoying redundancy
  • onion bhaji by Osmosis a "news story" about a failed attempt at the the world's largest onion bhaji
  • October 14, 2004, April 27, 2004, April 19, 2004, January 23, 2004, February 22, 2003, March 22, 2003, January 19, 2003, November 15, 2002, October 5, 2002, August 30, 2002, May 30, 2002, Aeris, Aunt Bessie's, BBQ Chicken Breast with Zucchini Sauce, Be nice to smokers: any cigarette can be their last, Clean to scream, Do your own thing, Foundations, General MIDI instrument list, Happy Hour, Joe Robot, Kwik Snax, Pauline, Phlebitis, PHP code for email validation, A poem by Queenie, Poems Written Before Jumping out of an 8 Story Window, Old gits magazine, Save Ferris, Straight as Quo, Tove Torvalds, toothbrush, The Vexed Engine, and web counter all by BuffcorePhil at the noder's request, some housecleaning before the long winter
  • ziggurat by Sinergy superseded
  • Washington Irving by yossarian and Jet-Poop superseded
  • First Tube by velocitygirl much too short
  • Photon torpedo by AlfBoy superseded
  • Remember, Remember, the 5th of November by The Custodian superseded
  • Froton Torpedo by Triune not a weapons produced by the Frobozz Naval Armaments Corporation, but a surprising haircare product
  • 20 things to be learned from video games by MissCreant and The Custodian list nodes are just as GTKY as question nodes; however "Miss Creant and the Custodian" sounds like a great name for a band
  • 20 things to be learned from Street Fighter by Easy Tiger didn't include "hints for burning airlines"
  • Heartthrob actors playing bass in small-time rock bands by AllergicToEverything two examples do not a conspiracy make
  • !Kung San by Durruti first node with all the attendant problems, plus plagiarism
  • Times when you MUST have a smoke by little.blue.lines first node with all the attendant problems
  • Pimple by CaptainSpam "One of the Battletoads." no one wants to read a node for every character who appeared in an 8-bit NES games
  • grenade, minigun, homing pigeon, homing cluster bomb, sheep launcher, prod, homing missile, and mortar by CaptainSpam no one wants to read a node for every weapon used in the Worms series of games
  • Conroy Bumpus by CaptainSpam no one wants to read a node that merely identifies a minor character in a comicbook series
  • El Blablazo by CaptainSpam nodes on television gameshows in languages other than english is an area which needs more representation on Everything2, but please try to describe the show at least as well as The Price Is Right
  • Quat Rinse by CaptainSpam no one wants to read a node for every cleaning agent used in modern society
  • Judge Doom by CaptainSpam no one wants to read a node for every minor character in an animated movie
  • White Hole by CaptainSpam science filtered through comedy shows does not a good node make
  • pocket rocket by CaptainSpam, VT_hawkeye, and ZamZ vehicle in a videogame series, nikname for a hockey player, nickname for cheap wine
  • Kurt Cobain haunts Compaq laptop by popabawa dated "news" story of little relevance
  • World of Warcraft by Syntari, Gemini, and Rushton after such a long period of hype that two noders have seemingly fled or lost their way back to E2, this game has been released, and reviewed in this node
  • Crimson Skies by Superunknown_GP incredibly superseded
  • October 23, 2004 by arcanamundi at the noder's requestee
  • Obesity in 2004 by GoulishBark a bloated attempt at a tumorous satire
  • Viking Knotwork by Zoinq at the new noder's request
  • representation by 90% fat free a paucity of information better explained at representation of groups
  • Broken Toy Shop by dogwalker album reviews not track listings
  • de Broglie's relation by SpeedFreek superseded
  • cranium rats by ShadowNode and Tiefling taken by spiders with human heads!
  • Many-as-one by ShadowNode and Tiefling someone called the exterminator
  • Caine by Tiefling at the noder's request
  • Pentabarf by dmd superseded by the Principia Discordia

 
Debo a la conjunción de un espejo y de una encyclopedia el descubrimiento de Uqbar.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.