A skateboarding term, used to denote a type of grind wherein the back truck and sometimes tail of a skateboard come in contact with the surface being grinded.

To perform a 5-0 grind, first become comfortable with 50-50 grinds and manuals. Approach the object at a medium to fast speed, at about a 45-30 degree angle. Ollie, and land as you would with a 50-50, but apply a bit more pressure on the beginning of the tail to keep the front trucks up. A bit of pumping may be required if you find yourself moving too slow, as you would in a manual. It's okay to let the tail touch, and many professionals do it all the time. From here, most people 180 shove-it out, or kickflip or something else cool like that. However, turning off at the end of a curb or ledge seems to work just fine.


As far as I can gather, the 5-0 (pronounced five-oh) has its roots seated in surfing, as the whole of skateboarding does. Hawaii Five-O may be the inspiration of the term, since skateboarders like to sit around and watch tv instead of working. =)

Five-O, pronounced "five oh" rather than "five zero" and spelled with the letter O instead of the numeral 0, is a slang term used to indicate the presence of police officers or other law enforcement personnel. It can be used more generally to refer to specific police units, or as a generic term for all police — similar to cops, "the Man", "the Fuzz", or dozens of more pejorative slang terms. In the United States, the term Five-O is not considered to be derogatory, but it can be when used in other countries.

Believe it or not, this term originated from the popular American television series Hawaii Five-O (1968-1980). Hawaii is the fiftieth US state, and the program was a police procedural drama... and that's the long and short of it. That's how these two otherwise completely unrelated things, the number fifty expressed in this particular sort of "penal code" vernacular that law enforcement is known to use, and police themselves, became connected.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.