The Fugees were an astonishing Hip Hop trio. Its three members were Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean and Prakarzel ‘Pras’ Michel. Lauryn did the singing with a bit or rapping and Wyclef and Pras were the MCs. Wyclef also did a lot of work in the production of their records taking complete control of the production of The Score.

Wyclef and Pras are cousins and are both of Haitian descent. The trio got together when at school and scrimped and saved until they could make their own records.

Their debut album, Blunted on Reality recorded under their original name the Tranzlator Crew, was en eclectic mix of new tracks and of Hip Hop takes on music which had influenced the Black music scene for generations. However the Fugees did not get much recognition outside of the Hip Hop scene for this great album.

They hit big in 1996 when their song Fu-Gee-La climbed up the charts. Their next single, Killing me Softly, was a huge success. The Fugees were now entrenched in the charts. Their album, The Score, went double platinum selling over 11 million copies and in my opinion is one of the greatest albums of the 90s.

The tracks epitomise good hip hop. They have soul wrenching vocals from Lauryn combined with flowing lyricising from Clef and Pras all backed by some classic beats.

Unfortunately the Fugees moved off to do solo work after The Score and never reformed. They have all released solo albums which have elements of the greatness that was the Fugees but none can pull it all together on their own.

So go on, find your copy of The Score and put it on and revel in those beats again. What do you mean you don’t have a copy? Why were you in cryostasis throughout the 90s. Get off your ass and get one now boy.


Great Neb's Picks

If you liked this then...


Discography

Blunted On Reality, 1994

  1. Introduction
  2. Nappy Heads
  3. Blunted Interlude
  4. Recharge
  5. Freestyle Interlude
  6. Vocab
  7. Special News Bulletin
  8. Boof Baf
  9. Temple
  10. How Hard Is It?
  11. Harlem Chit Chat Interlude
  12. Some Seek Stardom
  13. Giggles
  14. Da Kid from Haiti Interlude
  15. Refugees on the Mic
  16. Living Like there Ain't No Tomorrow
  17. Shout Outs From the Block

The Score, 1996

  1. Intro
  2. How Many Mic's
  3. Ready Or Not
  4. Zealots
  5. The Beast
  6. Fu-Gee-La
  7. Family Business
  8. Killing Me Softly
  9. The Score
  10. The Mask
  11. Cowboys
  12. No Woman No Cry
  13. Manifest
  14. Fu-Gee-La Refugee Camp Remix
  15. Fu-Gee-La Sly & Robbie
  16. Mista Mista

Refugee Camp Bootleg Versions, 1996

  1. Ready Or Not (Clark Kent/Django Remix)
  2. Nappy Heads (Mad Spider Mix)
  3. Don't Cry Dry Your Eyes
  4. Vocab (Salaam's Remix)
  5. Ready Or Not (Salaam's Ready For The Show Remix)
  6. Killing Me Softly With His Song (Live At The Brixton Academy)
  7. No Woman, No Cry (Remix With Steve Marley)
  8. Vocab (Refugees Hip Hop Remix)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.