display | more...
Fuller, n.
The groove which runs along the length of a sword, dagger, knife, or the like. Somtimes called a "blood groove" or "gutter". Although it is said they are put there to allow blood to run along the blade, they are actually used to make the blade lighter... it's a safe place to shave off metal without significantly reducing the structural integrity of the blade.

Full"er (?), n. [AS. fullere, fr. L. fullo. See Full, v. t.]

One whose occupation is to full cloth.

Fuller's earth, a variety of clay, used in scouring and cleansing cloth, to imbibe grease. -- Fuller's herb Bot., the soapwort (Saponaria officinalis), formerly used to remove stains from cloth. -- Fuller's thistle ∨ weed Bot., the teasel (Dipsacus fullonum) whose burs are used by fullers in dressing cloth. See Teasel.


© Webster 1913.

Full"er, n. [From Full, a.] Blacksmith's Work

A die; a half-round set hammer, used for forming grooves and spreading iron; -- called also a creaser.


© Webster 1913.

Full"er, v. t.

To form a groove or channel in, by a fuller or set hammer; as, to fuller a bayonet.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.