"Acting is like roller-skating. Once you know how to do it, it is neither stimulating nor exciting."

English actor (1906-1972). He was born to English parents in St. Petersburg, Russia -- they all hurried back to England after the Russian Revolution began. After working in a textile mill, as a tobacconist, and as an ad writer, he was encouraged to get into acting by none other than Greer Garson, who at the time, was employed as a secretary at the ad agency he worked for -- he got his start on the stage as a chorus boy in London. After acting in a few mostly-forgettable films, he landed the role of Simon Templar, the Saint, in 1939's "The Saint Strikes Back" and its numerous sequels. He also appeared in a number of films as the Falcon, who was something of a knockoff of the Saint.

Sanders' brother was fellow actor Tom Conway. They appeared together in a couple of movies, including "The Falcon's Brother" in 1942. Sanders handed over the role of the Falcon to Conway, who played the character in another nine films.

Sanders excelled at portraying smooth, cynical, debonair characters, particularly villains, scoundrels, and cads.

He was married four times. His first wife, Benita Hume, died; he was so grief-stricken by her death that he had to leave a Broadway-bound musical he was working on. His other three marriages -- to Susan Larson, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and Zsa Zsa's sister, Magda Gabor -- all ended in divorce.

Back in 1937, Sanders had told David Niven that he planned to commit suicide when he got older, and in fact, he did kill himself with five tubes of Nembutal, in a hotel in Barcelona, Spain in 1973. His suicide note read: "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

Sanders appeared in well over 100 films, including: "Lloyd's of London," "Four Men and a Prayer," "Mr. Moto's Last Warning," "The Saint Strikes Back," "Confessions of a Nazi Spy," "The Saint in London," "The Saint's Double Trouble" (he played both the Saint and a crime boss), "Green Hell," "The House of the Seven Gables," "Rebecca," "Foreign Correspondent," "The Son of Monte Cristo," "The Saint Takes Over," "The Saint in Palm Springs," "Rage in Heaven," "The Gay Falcon," "A Date with the Falcon," "The Falcon Takes Over," "The Falcon's Brother," "The Black Swan," "Quiet Please: Murder," "Paris After Dark," "The Moon and Sixpence," "The Lodger," "The Picture of Dorian Gray," "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," "Samson and Delilah," "All About Eve" (he won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for playing cynical critic Addison DeWitt), "Ivanhoe," "Assignment: Paris," "Call Me Madam," "Death of a Scoundrel," "The Seventh Sin," "From the Earth to the Moon," "Village of the Damned," "Cairo," "A Shot in the Dark," "The Jungle Book" (he was the voice of Shere Khan!), "Thin Air," "The Candy Man," "The Kremlin Letter" (in which he appeared in drag), "Endless Night," and "Doomwatch." He also hosted a television series called "The George Sanders Mystery Theatre" and was the first Mr. Freeze on the campy "Batman" series in the 1960s.

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.