Location: 40.31N, 88.98W
Population (2000): 2,431
Area: 3.5 sq km (land)
Zip Code: 61745
Area Code(s): 309
45 minutes' drive from Peoria, Champaign, and Springfield.

Heyworth, Illinois is a small village in central Illinois, eleven miles south of Bloomington/Normal and ten miles north of Clinton. It serves primarily as a bedroom community for the greater Bloomington/Normal area, partly due to its excellent housing prices and easy highway access.

The village is served by two major routes and one minor. US 51 is the primary north-south route and US 136 the primary east-west. Old US 51, still known and used by locals, is the old route through the village. Heyworth is also ten miles east of McLean and old Route 66.

A major event each year are the Heyworth Hey-Days, held the second weekend in June. Local businesses turn the downtown area into a sidewalk fair, residents host block after block of garage sales, and events are presented in the center park pavilion. Heyworth is also home to the Simpkins War Museum.


SOURCES

Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs
EPodunk: Heyworth, Illinois. <http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=6245>. 16 December 2002.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.