A 1977 single from the soundtrack album for the film Saturday Night Fever, performed and written by the Australian pop group of the seventies, The Bee Gees. A somewhat accurate description of it would call it a mid-tempo easy listening track, with the masterfully done vocal harmonization floating over soft beats, bassline, organ and other digital-sounding instruments. Both the verses and chorus are parallel yet quite different sounding melodies.

The lyrics are romantic with a tinge of despair. The question asked in this song lies within its title - How Deep Is Your Love. The Bee Gees probably intended for us to think of a distressed and confused soul longing to know if their partner loves them back. Simple, yet touching on a subliminal level.

This song was originally written for American singer Yvonne Elliman. However, the producer of Saturday Night Fever insisted that The Bee Gees sing it themselves for the movie soundtrack. This song was a massive hit in the US, reaching the number one spot and remaining in the Top 10 for seventeen weeks - a record breaking feat at the time. The track won the 1977 Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance By A Group. It also peaked at the number 3 position in the UK charts. This song was later covered by British boy band Take That.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.