This is a phrase that I have heard often, but I find that a lot of people either have never heard it, or don't agree with it. These are usually the type of people who haven't dealt with much rejection in their life, and don't know what it's to be truly hated. When you get right down to it, it's a very juvenile reaction to an emotionally volatile situation. If you can't deal with your feelings about a person, you turn around and try to push them away by hating them.

This sort of thing can be blatantly seen after a couple has broken up. When they see each other again, for the first time after they've been apart, they usually try and act like they haven't been thinking about each other. Usually, even if it was a bad breakup, they try and make it clear to the other person that they have been ignoring them. It's a quirk of human nature.

Hmm, I am going to have to saaaayyy... no.

I think it is better to be ignored than misunderstood or that it is better to be hated then to be smothered, but I cannot say I give a shit either way if people choose to ignore me. For someone who has been called an attention whore, this may come as a shock to most of you, but for the most part I dislike people and shun them on a regular basis.

I would truly rather be left alone in my day to day dealings than to have random people I have never met before approach me on the streets and try to talk to me. I blew off a "cute" girl just last night that tried to talk to me while I was in line to get my cocoa at the cafe across the street. I know whom I like and whom I don't like within about 15 seconds of meeting them or even being exposed to them. I would say I am correct about people and their nature with a 90% accuracy, and I don't like most of them, so why bother caring what they do?

When it comes to the few people on this planet I do care for, they get all my attention and they don't get to ignore me. :P

I can empathize with those whom have little voices and get walked all over by everyone because of it. To them it may be better to be hated than ignored, but not to everyone I can assure you. Hatred makes me leery, being leery requires some of my attention; being ignored requires no energy on my part at all.
”First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
Mohandas Gandhi

I know what it is like to be hated, and I know what it is like to be ignored. Being ignored is far worse. Unless people are listening, unless they care, you don’t have a chance in hell of making any kind of impact.

The opposite of love is not hate: it’s indifference. If someone bothers to hate you it means that they care about you. They don’t care to see you happy, they don’t care to help, but they do care, they are watching —you have a chance to make your point. You could turn that hate in to love.

(We hate those who resemble ourselves the most. It won't be hard I bet.)

Of course some people who believe in this idea too strongly end up as victims of domestic violence . . . . –but there is something to it. If anything, we should be able to see how it is possible to use the hatred others may have for us to our own advantage.

After all, we know that the ones who hate us the most really, really, care.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.