Kim is the Vietnamese word for Golden, which is why you find a lot of hyphenated Vietnamese names starting with Kim.

"Kim" is the title of Rudyard Kipling's most successful novel, written in 1901 and still studied as literature in many schools and universities.

It discusses the life of an orphaned son of an Irish soldier and is set in India, then a British colony.

There Kim (whose full name is Kimball o'Hara) meets a tibetan Holy Man and joins him on his quest to find a sacred river. On the way, he is adopted by a Colonel of his father's old regiment, who sees the boy's potential, due to the latter's dual nature as a roughened Indian boy and owning British blood, to work as a spy for Britain.

The story continues with Kim entering the British secret service and doing heroic deeds in stealing important papers from russian spies stationed in the Himalayas.

The story has a rather whimsical ending where the boy meets the Holy Man once more to search for his river. The treasure in this tale is its detailed description of indian life, and the interesting split character of Kim, so oriental, so british, so free-spirited.

Kim, pronounced with a G/K initial sound, is Korean for toasted sea lettuce, the red algae genus Porphyra, or as a food item, more commonly known in the West by its Japanese North American name; nori. Like nori in Japan, it is used in the same traditional ways. Seasoned with salt and soy sauce. Used as a wrapper, a garnish and an ingredient in other dishes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.