I don't watch many movies. In fact, this one was among fewer than five that I've seen in the past 5 years. Meet Joe Black is a perfect example of why I don't watch movies. It has an inane premise and a more inane script. Brad Pitt does a ridiculously poor job of acting, as do everyone except Anthony Hopkins.

So what's the movie about? Uh...death visits real life in the body of Brad Pitt and tells Anthony Hopkins that he will die soon. That's the premise part--it's not very clever. Of course, death falls in love with the daughter of Anthony Hopkins, who falls completely in love herself. A major part of the movie (rehashed several times) is that death likes peanut butter. I guess that makes the movie cute?

How does it end? Anthony Hopkins dies. Death has to give up his love for the daughter, but he leaves the personality of the guy whose body he took over for her. She falls in love with that guy too, suggesting the daughter is a slut concerned only with appearance. This is a classic love story that could have been written by your average high school student. But where were the explosions or testosterone-charged music that enhance so many modern movies?

"Meet Joe Black" does not have a great plot. It does not have an original plot. But originality is overrated. I do not agree with the above noder, and I think the acting is very good; I'm not exactly sure how a person who does not watch many movie judges what good acting is, but that's besides the point.

What makes "Meet Joe Black" a good movie, IMO is that it is much more actor driven than most movies are. This is why the plot is superfluous. This movie is more form than substance, as the characters never really develop, unless you count Jack's cheesy change of heart at the end which the above noder already mentioned.

What I mean by actor driven is that the movie rests solely on the acting ability of the actors. The movie is solely dialogue, and I think the actors pulled it off well. Especially the facial expressions. If you've watched this movie once, watch it again, watching only the expressions of the actors and actresses. You can see what they are thinking and feeling through this medium alone. At the end, I could see the daughter's mind trying to figure out the puzzle of Joe's identity, while at the same time she is trying to conceal it because she is afraid of what she will find.

I think the movie makes a good point too: love is essentially selfish, although the writers of the movie chose to dance around the issue and try to conceal what they had revealed by having Anthony Hopkins explain what love is. Loving another person serves only one's self in the end, although the movie avoids the logical extreme of this argument, which is that humans are essentially selfish, but that is an understandable economic decision.

Of course, you, the reader who is reading this node, may well hate this movie. Ah well. I swear there is an objective basis to opinion, but I can't quite figure it out.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.