Published by Infogames.
North and South described itself as a witty, cartoon-style enactment of the American Civil War. It played like Risk, but with added arcade and platform elements. The best parts were the battles, which were manic to say the least. It reminded me of Hungry Hungry Hippos, in that the main tactic in both games is to bash away furiously at buttons in the hope that you get lucky. You just take control of various units like cannons or cavalry, and smash the spacebar until everyone is dead.

It ran on nearly any IBM Compatible PC] and was great head to head with another person.

I grew up all over; perhaps because of this, I don't speak with any particular accent. Still, for most of my formative years I lived in the Deep South, and surely this has marked me. Most of the time I don't really notice, the north and south are just places to me, in no need of capitalization or special consideration.

My equality of geographic perception is mostly a mixture of obliviousness and habitat; most of the places I've lived have been well-mixed enough that they're not stereotypical of anywhere but themselves. I'm a bit of a half-breed so I fit in fairly well in either case - I might be a bit more southern than not, but more so in using "y'all" (which is a good and needful word anyhow) than in respectfully standing up whenever a lady not yet of my acquaintance enters the room.

Still, even someone as oblivious as myself can't avoid cases where I crash into a frame of reference so alien to my own that communication, even in the same language, breaks down at least temporarily. When I was still working at the grocery store in Wisconsin, a business-like lady, a bit older than I was, came up to me and said:

"Honey."

I waited for her to continue...

And I waited...

And I had a revelation.

"It's in the baking aisle."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.