"Rura Penthe... known throughout the galaxy as the aliens graveyard..."
Pavel Chekov, Star Trek VI, The Undiscovered Country

Rura Penthe is a gulag, or prison, from the sixth Star Trek movie. It is located on an asteroid and run by the Klingons. The prisoners get to work at mining dilithium for as long as they are there, which is usually life. As the warden of the penal colony said, "There are no fences, no parole, only a shield prevents beaming out. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Work poorly, and you will die." With this statement, they toss a prisoner out onto the surface. The surface is frozen, covered in snow. Banishment from the gulag means getting kicked out of the prison, where a quick icy death awaits.

In the movie, Captain Kirk and Dr. Bones McCoy are sent to Rura Penthe after the Klingons find them guilty of killing the Chancellor of the Klingon High Council. Some of the banter they exchange makes for some of the best moments in the original cast versions of the movies. One of the best moments was when a changeling (played by the sexy Iman) smooches with Kirk. Bones asks, "What is it with you, anyway?"

Later on, the changeling morphs into Captain Kirk. The real Kirk says, "I can't believe I kissed you!", to which the changeling responds, "Must have been your lifelong ambition!"

The movie is a close second to the second Star Trek movie, The Wrath of Khan, and certainly worth watching, assuming you haven't already.

Lord Brawl says: This location was re-used (pre-used?) in Enterprise season-two episode 'Judgment' last season.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.