Here are some basic safety tips when dealing with the threat of a tornado. Of course, some of them seem obvious, but it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of tips and procedures, and it is a good idea for children to be taught about what to do in such a situation, especially in the spring when the air is ripe for dangerous weather.

  • If at all possible, you should have a weather radio. They cost somewhere around $20 to $25. That’s your first line of defense.
  • One thing a lot of people don’t have and should have is a disaster kit, which has supplies that last up to three days. And you should always have a three-day supply of water.
  • Know the difference between a tornado watch and warning. A watch means conditions are right for a possible tornado. A warning means a tornado has been spotted and you should take cover immediately.
  • Have a family response plan. If a tornado is spotted, everyone in the home should know where to assemble. If you have a basement, you should go there. If not, then it is advised to go to an interior room on the lowest level with no windows, preferably a bathroom or a closet.
  • Stay away from corners in a room because they attract debris.
  • If you are in a room, get under a sturdy piece of furniture and use your arms to protect your head and neck.
  • Keep windows shut. Opening them will only allow debris to enter more easily the structure. Pressure will not cause the house to explode.
  • If you are in a mobile home, get out and find shelter elsewhere. Many deaths and injuries occur to mobile home residents, since the homes are so light and can be tossed by strong winds.
  • If you are outdoors and there is no time to get inside, lie in a ditch or low-lying area. Also be aware of the potential for flooding.
  • If you are in a car, do not try to out drive a tornado in a car or a truck. Tornadoes can change directions quickly and can lift up a car or truck and toss it through the air like a toy. If possible, get out of the car immediately and take shelter in a nearby building. If there is no time to get indoors, get out of the car and lie in a ditch or low lying area away from the vehicle. Cover head and neck with arms. Don’t seek shelter under an overpass. Debris is often channeled there.
  • If at work or school: Go to a basement or inside hallway on the lowest level away from windows. Avoid places with wide-span roofs such as auditoriums, cafeterias or shopping malls. Check with your work and your children’s schools and day care centers to learn about their tornado emergency plans.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.