The Talmud is divided into six large subdivisions, called Orders (in Hebrew, Sedarim). While at first glance they bear little relevance to life today, scholars extrapolate from these commentaries to formulate modern applications. The first of these Orders is Zeraim, meaning "seeds;" it deals primarily with agricultural matters in the land of Israel. This Order contains the following tractates:

Berakhot ("blessings")
Somewhat out of place with the other tractates in this order, Berakhot deals with the format of daily prayers, including the Shema, the Amidah, and the blessings before and after eating.
Peah ("corner")
The subject deals with laws covering gifts to the poor. They include gleanings from the corners of one's field and charity in general.
Demai ("doubtful")
This tractate deals with produce about which some doubt exists as to whether it has been properly tithed. It discusses procedures for separating tithes from this produce so that it may be eaten.
Kila'im ("blends")
There are many laws about licit and illicit blending of goods, like linen and wool in the same cloth, different seeds sown together, animals that are yoked together, etc. This tractate covers the laws regulating such blending
Shevi'it
These are commentaries on the regulations covering the observance of the seventh or Sabbatical year when various types of activities are suspended, particularly agriculture. Debts are erased, but this tractate covers the method of collecting debts after the Sabbatical year.
Terumot
This tractate discusses the priest's portion that must be taken out from any crop grown in Israel and problems involved with their ritual purity.
Maaserot
The discussion of donations is continued here: what might be the Levite's portion, among other topics.
Maaser Sheni
The discussion continues with special reference to what should be taken to Jerusalem to be eaten and what are the exceptions.
Challah
The laws governing the types and amount of dough from which an offering must be given to the priests.
Orlah
This tractate stipulates that produce from trees in their first 3 years of growth may not be eaten or used in any way.
Bikkurim
The laws governing the first fruits of one's produce that are brought to the temple.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.