A cajun variety of sausage, excellent flavor with just the right amount of kick. Andouille is made primarily from pork butt, shank, and a bit of pork fat. It is course ground and then mixed with salt, pepper, and garlic. Traditional cajun Andouille is then stuffed into beef middle casings and then smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane for several hours giving it a dark color and intense flavor. Variations may include potato and onion, as well as other herbs such as thyme.

This delicious sausage is produced in France, too.

In French, Andouille can also be used as an insult. Its means fool, as in Quelle andouille! (what a fool!)

Andouille (pronounced ann-DOO-ee) is a type of Cajun sausage whose ingredients I'm not brave enough to determine, but they tell me that some unlikely parts of a pig are involved somehow. I never saw the sausage until I moved to South Florida, but I had heard about it from some friends in Louisiana. It's hot, it's spicy, it's delicious! Its adds great flavor to any dish! I'm not one who approaches the kitchen with great enthusiasm, except when I'm eating in one of them. But, here are some easy dishes made with andouille that I'd like to recommend to you:

  • Cut anduille up into small pieces and fry with a fistful of those frozen chopped onions (another piece of indispensable kitchen equipment); meanwhile beat up some eggs, adding salt & pepper. Pour over andouille and onions to make an omlette! Serve with French bread!
  • For an easy sauce for pasta: fry pieces of andouille in a lot of olive oil; don't forget to add those chopped onions and minced garlic (from a jar). When the the onions are turning color, add a can of any kind of tomatoes and simmer as long as patience will allow. Pour over cooked pasta.
  • I bought a big package of frozen home fries that tasted like cardboard. The next time I used them, I first fried pieces of andouille with chopped onions and chopped peppers (these also come frozen). When they are thoroughly thawed out in the frying pan add the "home fries." Towards the end don't stir it to get some real home-fry color.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.