A beer kit is a tin of concentrated wort packaged with dry yeast. Typically they are 1.7 kg large, so that on can brew 23 litres of beer. They vary enormously in quality - the best will be made with only hops and malt from two-row barley, and with malted wheat for a weizen or other wheat beer, and should be clearly marked as such. These are convenient as they can often be purchased in supermarkets while other brewing ingredients are rarely stocked.

Homebrewing often seems a lot more difficult than it actually is to the novice brewer, and the manufacturers of beer kits recognise this. Unfortunately their attempts to manage this can cause confusion for everyone - many kits labeled as lager will be packaged with an ale yeast as ale is quicker to ferment and can be made without racking or lagering. They will also direct people to use sugar to increase the alcohol content. There is nothing particularly wrong with this but a lot of people will use cane sugar rather than the more neutrally flavoured dextrose - no doubt they wish to avoid scaring customers away by placing a large, unfamiliar word like dextrose on their packaging.

Many people customise beer kits by adding their own adjuncts such as malt extract.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.