Overview

Collide is also a Los Angeles based goth/industrial band whose music resembles nothing so much as a successful mating between Portishead and later Delerium. I'd call their music "gothic trip-hop", but they also have a somewhat industrial edge as well. Their music is characterized by a steady, deep beat and rolling, complex basslines, with ethereal melodies winding and shifting between the beats and bass.

Collide is composed of a man who calls himself Statik, who does the sequencing and programming of most Collide songs (which are all electronic or sampled) and kaRIN, a woman who writes and sings most of the lyrics.

Collide is most notable for having created (in my opinion) the single best album to have sex to ever made. Forget Delerium, forget Lycia, forget Enigma and Sky Cries Mary and Nine Ninch Nails -- "Chasing the Ghost" is the ultimate sex album. They get the beat just right for a long, slow, romantic seduction. Not quite right for rip-your-clothes-off shagging, but if you're in a slower and more sensual mood, this is just the thing.

...Not that their music isn't equally good for casual listening, of course. It's just the thing for a quiet evening alone, or for a low-key cocktail party (I've used it for both, to good effect). Not bad to drive to, either.

Collide finally acquired backing musicians and went on a US tour in 2004, which was well-received. I attended their Seattle show and was impressed by the band's technical ability -- they are definitely not just a "stand behind a laptop and bounce around" band as so many electronic goth bands are. kaRIN has captivating stage presence and sings just as well live as she does in the studio.

As of October 2005, Collide was working on a DVD of their live performances and music videos, and kaRIN and Statik plan to return to the studio to work on new material once it is complete. They continue to do occasional shows in the LA area and will likely tour again to support their next album when it appears.

Do yourself a favor and listen to Collide; you'll be glad you did.

More information can be found at http://www.collide.net/.

Discography

Col*lide" (?), v. i. [L. collidere, collisum; col- + laedere to strike. See Lesion.]

To strike or dash against each other; to come into collision; to clash; as, the vessels collided; their interests collided.

Across this space the attraction urges them. They collide, they recoil, they oscillate. Tyndall.

No longer rocking and swaying, but clashing and colliding. Carlyle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Col*lide", v. t.

To strike or dash against.

[Obs.]

Scintillations are . . . inflammable effluencies from the bodies collided. Sir T. Browne.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.