Of or relating to being female or exclusively for females. Often used to mean frilly, colorful, or highly decorated, especially with pinks, lavenders, or other pastels.

Anything that is culturally unacceptable for boys/guys to have anything to do with.

feminine (noun, femininity): characteristic of, or attributed to the female sex.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Feminine once escorted charms and frailties to and from the lips of women's disparagers. It still has a propensity to wear colours like lilac and apricot, as well as conveying qualities like mildness, elegance, and sweetness.

It has predominantly abandoned diffidence, politesse, and chastity. Femininity, is no longer a single sex institution, and it continues to advocate community, nonviolence, and good taste. it is concerned with the line, the silhouette, the movement: it must curve, it must be continuous and gentle and slight.

Who and what is feminine?
Christian Dior. Anna Pavlova. Yves Saint Laurent. Brian Molko from Placebo. Marilyn Manson. Grace Kelly. Ballet. Curly Hair. Chiffon. Pastels. White. Pale skin.

Fem"i*nine (?), a. [L. femininus, fr. femina woman; prob. akin to L. fetus, or to Gr. to suck, to suckle, Skr. dha to suck; cf. AS. fémme woman, maid: cf. F. féminin. See Fetus.]

1.

Of or pertaining to a woman, or to women; characteristic of a woman; womanish; womanly.

Her letters are remarkably deficient in feminine ease and grace. Macaulay.

2.

Having the qualities of a woman; becoming or appropriate to the female sex; as, in a good sense, modest, graceful, affectionate, confiding; or, in a bad sense, weak, nerveless, timid, pleasure-loving, effeminate.

Her heavenly form Angelic, but more soft and feminine. Milton.

Ninus being esteemed no man of war at all, but altogether feminine, and subject to ease and delicacy. Sir W. Raleigh.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fem"i*nine, n.

1.

A woman.

[Obs. or Colloq.]

They guide the feminines toward the palace. Hakluyt.

2. Gram.

Any one of those words which are the appellations of females, or which have the terminations usually found in such words; as, actress, songstress, abbess, executrix.

There are but few true feminines in English. Latham.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.