The Fertile Crescent is a catch-all phrase for an area of land around the Mediterreanean Sea which historians believe it is the first and one of the most important cradles of civilization historically. It is located in the Middle East of the Eurasian continent, and holds tremendous historical significance to most every civilization on this planet, because about two millennia ago it's where the Roman Empire was taking control, it's where people like Muhammed and Jesus Christ came from, and it is believed that events in the Christian Bible, dating back to at least Deuteronomy and possibly further back, actually transpired. This is where historians believe social and agricultural inventions and concepts were first conceived and enacted. It's the origin of the modern alphabet, and is where many religions were forged. It is the birthplace of most early movers and shakers, from Greek philosophers to Roman Catholic saints and popes.

Civilizations which evolved from the Fertile Crescent include the Assyrians, Sumerians, Canaanites, Philistines, Phoenicians aka Carthaginians, Hyksos, Akkadians, Hittites, Hurrians, Mitanni, Kassites, Arameans, Amorites, Seleucids, Nabateans, Lakhmids, Ghassanids, Umayyads, Abbasids, and others.

The Fertile Crescent stretches from the Taurus Mountains in the North to the Arabian Desert in the South. Originally known as the Syrian Sea, the Eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea is a border as are the Zagros Mountains to the west and the Gulf of Fao in the East. Though they were called dramatically different names in some cases centuries and millennia ago, in the 21st century such countries as Syria, Lebanon, Cyprus, Jordan, Palestine, Iraq, Kuwait, Cilicia, Ahwaz, and Sinai are all part of what was and for some people still is considered the where the seed of humanity was first planted.

Because of the importance this land holds in the hearts and minds of so many people on this planet, the Fertile Crescent has also been the primary location for more and bloodier wars than any other place in recorded history. People are probably fighting over it today, even as you read these words.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.