The secret of setting brandy (or other high-alcohol drinks) aflame is first to warm it and its glass until almost hot. You can warm a glass by holding it by its stem above the flame or electric coil on your stove until the glass feels warm. Avoid touching the glass to the heat source. You could break it.

Next, heat some brandy in a saucepan above the flame. When the brandy is hot, ignite it with a match. It it's hot enough, it will flame instantly. Pour the flaming liquid carefully into the other brandy you want flamed. If all the liquid is warm enough, it will ignite.

Be careful. Flames can shoot up suddenly. Look up and make sure there's nothing above that can ignite, including your hair, hat, whatever. Have an open box of baking soda nearby in case of accidents. Pour it over flames to extinguish them. Use pot holders to protect your hands from the hot glass, spoon, and/or pan.


The Basic Bar index...or on to Using Fruit and Fruit Juices
Flaming by Pink Floyd (02:43)

Syd Barrett: lead vocal, electric guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar.
Roger Waters: Rickenbacker bass guitar, background vocals.
Richard Wright: Farfisa organ, piano.
Nick Mason: drums, finger cymbals, percussion.
Recorded in London, Abbey Road Studios, June 7th and 27th, 1967.

Written by Syd Barrett before Pink Floyd was formed, the song seems to be a reflection on Syd's LSD inspired universe: drug induced joy and "You can't see me but I can you" paranoia.

Flaming appeared on the UK release of the album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, released August 5th 1967. Capitol records removed the song from the US release of the album. It first appeared in the US as Pink Floyd's third single, released November 2, 1967 with The Gnome on the reverse side. The US single, in mono with the background sounds amplified, was a different mix than what appeared on the UK album.

Flaming was re-released on December 5th, 1973 as part of the double album A Nice Pair, which consisted of The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and A Saucerful Of Secrets.


Alone in the clouds all blue
Lying on an eiderdown.
Yippee! You can't see me
But I can you.

Lazing in the foggy dew
Sitting on a unicorn.
No fair, you can't hear me
But I can you.

Watching buttercups cup the light
Sleeping on a dandelion.
Too much, I won't touch you
But then I might.

Screaming through the starlit sky
Traveling by telephone.
Hey ho, here we go
Ever so high.

Alone in the clouds all blue
Lying on an eiderdown.
Yippee! You can't see me
But I can you.

I composed a nasty flame, intended for an old friend.

My friend's truth seemed twisted, designed to hurt, to be the worst-- maybe to provoke my reaction. I was feeling angry. My friend's writings had worked on me.

I'd been thinking I want to keep this friend, and then I was wavering. We'd known each other for many years; we both knew buttons to push. I thought about all the problems people run into in life, and how we all get our share. I knew people should not shift blame to other people, and sometimes there's an overload, and people dump it on you.

I felt on the receiving end of other's problems. It seemed one-way. It was not a nice feeling. Anyway, I wrote my flame, printed it, and felt satisfied. I felt it would be devastating, with nastily tailored details.

I finally decided not to send it, and took the printed flame outside and set it on fire! Watching the flaming paper burn away, feeling that heat, produced a magical catharsis.

Possibly there is magic that may resolve friendships?

Knowing people well involves a lot of water under the bridge, and knowing which buttons to push for different effects.

Sometimes people go for effect, sometimes for affect. I think I'd like to keep my old friend.

-

"Crimson flames tied through my ears..."-- Bob Dylan

"Life is very short ... We can work it out."--Lennon/McCartney

Flam"ing (?), a.

1.

Emitting flames; afire; blazing; consuming; illuminating.

2.

Of the color of flame; high-colored; brilliant; dazzling.

"In flaming yellow bright."

Prior.

3.

Ardent; passionate; burning with zeal; irrepressibly earnest; as, a flaming proclomation or harangue.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.