Beat slang - to snub someone deliberately.

To stop what one is doing instantly, especially in the presence of danger; to become suddenly motionless. "The dick (detective) is right at my pratt (behind me), and I got the sucker's okus (wallet) in my duke (hand) when I hear the zex (whispered warning). I freeze on the spot and I can't blow (flee)."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
freeware = F = fried

freeze v.

To lock an evolving software distribution or document against changes so it can be released with some hope of stability. Carries the strong implication that the item in question will `unfreeze' at some future date. "OK, fix that bug and we'll freeze for release."

There are more specific constructions on this term. A `feature freeze', for example, locks out modifications intended to introduce new features but still allows bugfixes and completion of existing features; a `code freeze' connotes no more changes at all. At Sun Microsystems and elsewhere, one may also hear references to `code slush' -- that is, an almost-but-not-quite frozen state.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Liquids at freezing point:
One night I was thirsty for a drink, so I hiked downstairs and opened the fridge. I keep my fridge on the lowest setting and from time to time things will end up frozen near the back. I was not in the mood for a soda or juice and grabbed a bottle of water. For some reason unknown to myself I shook the bottle and it responded with freezing itself. I found this rather odd and decided I would find out why this happened.

After very little time in my physics class I stumbled on the the subject of heat, and learned the reason behind what happened. When liquids are kept at their exact freezing point, they will not freeze. This is because during any phase change, there is an extra amount of energy transfer needed to either break bonds or to bond the matter together. This is because all the energy transfer related to the object at this time is used for this change, and it should be noted there is no temperature change during a phase change too. This energy for a phase change is known as latent heat. When I shook the bottle of water, there was a rise in kinetic energy that was used to power the phase change to a solid.

Why large bodies of water don't freeze:
If you have ever visited an ocean, sea, or lake in freezing conditions, you most likely noted that the above stated body of water was unfrozen. This may seem odd to you that a near by pond has frozen but this has not. Why this happen also has simple physics to blame.

Water's density is highest at 4 degrees Celsius (this because water molecules are polar and become less dense when they align themselves to freeze). So, as the the surface begins to lower in temperature, once it hits 4 degrees, that water will sink to the bottom of the body of water and a new, less warm layer will surface to have its temerature reduced. In shallow bodies of water, there are few layers to go through and this can happen quickly, but deep bodies of water can take ages to get through each layer. Only after each layer has hit 4 degrees can the temperature drop below this point. Another fun yet trivial fact is that most large bodies of water will have 4 degree water at their deepest point, this is because 4 degree water is the most dense water and will sink to the bottom.

In curling, a shot in which you want your stone to come to a stop in direct contact with an opponent's stone within the rings.

The purpose of such a shot is to provide backing for your stone. If your opponents try to take out your stone, the kinetic force will be transmitted through to their stone, which will then be the one making an ignominious departure from the rings.

Making a freeze requires a shooter to have good weight, and as always good sweeping.

Freeze is the fifth major label release by Pierrot, which came to fruition slightly more slowly than usual (two years between albums - almost unheard of in Japan, unless you're Yoshiki). Rather than relying on the success of a few singles, the band threw this record down all at once, and it hits like a sledgehammer. It's Pierrot's heaviest album by far. Sounds like the band were sitting around at practice one day and said, 'Dude, enough of this mainstream crap. Let's make a metal album.'

And they did. The sonic levels are nearly excruciating. Each song is like a steamroller, and without any resting period between tracks, it plays like one giant pissed-off jam session.

That's not to say that Freeze dips below Pierrot's usual standards. Aiji and Jun's guitars retain their creative dominance over Kirito's (often distorted) vocals; songs twist themselves around completely different sounds within the same verse; bizarre guitar noises that are almost electronic come regularly between drum beats. Only Pierrot could begin with a sinister guitar riff before breaking into a chorus worthy of Broadway.

They have made better use of Kohta on this album, pushing his bass forward on more than a few tracks, and Takeo is always on rhythm. But the stars are still the guitars. A song that best demonstrates this is PIECES. The verses are like cigarette breaks. 'All right, that's all well and good, now get back to work.'

Freeze is a very good album, but incredibly exhausting.

1. FREEZE
2. Smiley Skeleton
3. PERFORMANCE
4. WINDOW
5. CLOWN'S MUTTER
6. Paranoia
7. UNMASK
8. Fukai Nemuri ga Sametara
9. UNKNOWN
10. PIECES
11. MYCLOUD

Freeze (?), n. (Arch.)

A frieze. [Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913


Freeze, v. i. [imp. Froze (?); p. p. Frozen (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Freezing.] [OE. fresen, freosen, AS. freósan; akin to D. vriezen, OHG. iosan, G. frieren, Icel. frjsa, Sw. frysa, Dan. fryse, Goth. frius cold, frost, and prob. to L. prurire to itch, E. prurient, cf. L. prna a burning coal, pruina hoarfrost, Skr. prushvA ice, prush to spirt. &?; 18. Cf. Frost.]

1.

To become congealed by cold; to be changed from a liquid to a solid state by the abstraction of heat; to be hardened into ice or a like solid body.

⇒ Water freezes at 32° above zero by Fahrenheit's thermometer; mercury freezes at 40° below zero.

2.

To become chilled with cold, or as with cold; to suffer loss of animation or life by lack of heat; as, the blood freezes in the veins.

To freeze up (Fig.), to become formal and cold in demeanor. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913


Freeze, v. t.

1.

To congeal; to harden into ice; to convert from a fluid to a solid form by cold, or abstraction of heat.

2.

To cause loss of animation or life in, from lack of heat; to give the sensation of cold to; to chill.

A faint, cold fear runs through my veins,
That almost freezes up the heat of life.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Freeze, n.

The act of congealing, or the state of being congealed. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913


Freeze, v. t. --
To freeze out, to drive out or exclude by cold or by cold treatment; to force to withdraw; as, to be frozen out of one's room in winter; to freeze out a competitor. [Colloq.]

A railroad which had a London connection must not be allowed to freeze out one that had no such connection.
A. T. Hadley.

It is sometimes a long time before a player who is frozen out can get into a game again.
R. F. Foster.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.