1. A bank. "These cheap heist-men (holdup men) will throw (hold up) a store and get five clams (dollars) for their end. But they won't take a small jug that's a cold lay (easy thing). The big dough chills (scares) them." 2. A county jail. 3. A prison.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
in climbing terms a jug is a big hold. probably named after the container. A jug can be grabbed with the entire hand rather than just the fingertips. It is also known as a bucket.

The importance of the jug on the route is that due to it's large size many diferent forearm, arm and shoulder muscle groups can be used to hold on to it with. Usually only a few of these muscles are being used to exhaustion on a climb. When you reach a jug you can transfer you weight around and in so doing can rest the muscle groups which are near to failure. This is called shaking out the pump.

Often a climber will be heard to mutter "where's the jug, where's the jug where's the fucking jug" just before they fall off the route.

Jug (?), n. [Prob. fr. Jug, a corruption of, or nickname for, Joanna; cf. 2d Jack, and Jill. See Johannes.]

1.

A vessel, usually of coarse earthenware, with a swelling belly and narrow mouth, and having a handle on one side.

2.

A pitcher; a ewer.

[Eng.]

3.

A prison; a jail; a lockup.

[Slang]

Gay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jug (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Jugged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Jugging (?).]

1.

To seethe or stew, as in a jug or jar placed in boiling water; as, to jug a hare.

2.

To commit to jail; to imprison.

[Slang]

 

© Webster 1913.


Jug, v. i. Zool.

1.

To utter a sound resembling this word, as certain birds do, especially the nightingale.

2.

To nestle or collect together in a covey; -- said of quails and partridges.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.