Not just for decoration on a sword, a pommel serves to counterbalance the weight of the blade if necessary. It also makes a handy smashing device with which to smack your enemy on the head, or to knock on a door, etc. It also helps to keep the grip of the sword from sliding out of your hand. This is a good thing. Throwing your sword away is usually not conducive to saying alive, much less winning.

The pommels main purpose should be to hold the hilt onto the tang and your to stop your hand sliding of the end of the hilt. A pommel that is heavy is an indication the sword may not be balanced right. (See buying a sword for information on the swords point of balance).

Using the pommel to knock on heavy things like doors must also be viewed with question. The last thing you want to do is damage the pommel, since in a good sword, it is the only thing holding the hilt to the tang. It would be embarssing for your hand to slide of the hilt, but even more so if the hilt and your hand slide off the blade!

Pom"mel (?), n. [OE. pomel, OF. pomel, F. pommeau, LL. pomellus, fr. L. pomum fruit, LL. also, an apple. See Pome.]

A knob or ball; an object resembling a ball in form

; as: (a)

The knob on the hilt of a sword

. Macaulay. (b)

The knob or protuberant part of a saddlebow

. (c)

The top (of the head)

. Chaucer. (d)

A knob forming the finial of a turret or pavilion.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pom"mel, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pommeled (?) or Pommelled; p. pr. & vb. n. Pommeling or Pommelling.]

To beat soundly, as with the pommel of a sword, or with something knoblike; hence, to beat with the fists.

[Written also pummel.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.