A canvas bag filled with sand.

Used in theatre or film as a counterweight.
Used in disaster relief as a means to slow or prevent floodwaters from destroying property.

This is a term is applied to a climb which has been described as being easier than it actually is. Deciding the difficulty of a climb is a moderately subjective process. The first person to climb a route compares it with other routes that they have done and assigns a difficulty, this is denoted by the "grade" of the climb. Over time, if many people climb the same route, a level of difficulty is agreed on through consensus. Sometimes the original grade is decreased (downgrading), sometimes the climb is upgraded. The latter ofter happens when a piece of rock falls of the climb making it harder by decreasing the number of handholds on the rock.

From country to country the base level can vary slightly. For example in Thailand grades are generally considered to be a bit 'soft'. The climbs are not quite as difficult as they are described. Sometimes the grades in an area are a bit harder than in other areas. If you go to such an area without knowing about the grade offset you can get 'sandbagged'. You try grades that you normally can climb with ease. You can't get up them. It's like you have a bag of sand tied to your waist!

Another common way that a route becomes sandbagged is when an moderately easy route is first done by a very good climber. They are used to doing things that are really hard. It wasn't that difficult to them, and hey their girlfriend could probably climb it, so they give it a pretty low grade. Actually, they were just climbing really well and it's a bitch hard. Hey presto, instant sandbag!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.