A nifty card game that evolved from Whist and related games. It allows for great skill in play and -- best of all -- is played for hard score (i.e. cash).

4 players, 1 52-card deck.

On the first deal, shuffle; otherwise do not shuffle unless a bid of abondance or a slam has just been won.

Deal the cards out in batches of 3-3-3-3-1. Dealer's last card is turned up to establish the trump suit. Players then bid, beginning at dealer's left. Except for the prop-cop bid, the highest bidder becomes the soloist. The soloist then tries to make his bid while the other 3 players try to prevent it. Tricks are played as in Bridge, left of dealer leads unless a slam is bid, in which case the soloist leads. Bids are as follows, from lowest to highest:

Prop
This is the only partnership bid, which pledges to take 8 tricks working with a partner, using the turned suit as trump. The next bidder may say "cop," which accepts the bid, make a higher bid, or pass. If established, left of dealer leads; the partners count their tricks jointly, and the bid is successful if the partners take 8 or more tricks. Note: If all pass after prop is bid, the one who bid prop may raise it to a solo
Solo
Bidder pledges to take 5+ tricks, using the turned suit as trump.
Misere
Bidder pledges to take no tricks, playing at no trump. If the soloist fails and is forced to take a trick, the hand must be played out anyways for scoring purposes.
Abondance
Bidder pledges to take 9 tricks, with a suit of his choice as trump.
Royal Abondance
Same as above, but using turned-up suit as trump.
Open
Same as misere, but bidder plays with his hand exposed on the table.
Slam
Bidder pledges to take all 13 tricks. Bidder leads, no trump.

Scoring varies but usually goes something like this (if bid was successful, opponents pay the amount to the soloist, else the soloist pays the amount to every opponent):
Prop/Cop - $0.10 + $.01 per overtrick
Solo - $0.10 + $0.01 per OT
Misere - $0.25
Abondance - $0.50
Royal - $0.60
Open - $0.75
Slam - $1.00

Scores are settled in cash at the end of each deal. Note that small sums are used; that makes the game a little bit rewarding for the successful soloist and no one loses their shirt (and besides, pennies have to be good for something).

In Australia, solo is the name of a popular lemon squash soft drink. It is meant to be gulped down; the can has an opening at the top that is about double the normal can opening for this sort of drink.

In the UK, a debit card from the people who brought you Switch. In theory, it's accepted anywhere that Switch is taken, which is usually pretty much anywhere that takes credit cards.

When you make a transaction with your Solo card, the card swiper machine dials up to the clearing bank to authorise the transaction. The money is then deducted from your account within a couple of days. If your account won't let you take any more money out of it, the transaction will be rejected.

For this reason, Solo is being marketed at under 18s, who are not legally allowed to borrow money.

Compare to Canada's Interac, but without the PIN number.

People 18 or over can apply for a Switch card instead.

Solo cards are issued by Bank of Scotland, the Halifax, HSBC and NatWest.

www.solocard.co.uk

Solo

A term used in the Dutch1 soaring sport, to indicate a person being allowed to pilot a single-seater glider, but who hasn't yet finished the full exam for his glider pilot license.

In the day log of March 8, 2001 I give an account of my first solo flight.


1 And most likely elsewhere, too

In Spain, the thing to ask for in a bar if you want an (almost) Italian-style espresso coffee. Contrast café con leche.



In cycling, a machine for one rider, by contrast with a tandem, triplet, etc. - "The End to End record for solo tricyle is held by Ralph Dadswell in 2 days, 5 hours and 29 minutes." - yes, there is a tandem tricyle record too ...


In jazz and popular music, part of a piece performed by a single instrumentalist, generally a display of an excess of technical proficiency, while the rest of the band stand around looking bored or go to the bar. In orchestral music, a passage played by a single player - generally the leader or principal - rather than their whole section; there is no implication that the rest of the orchestra shuts up while this is going on.

far and deep and lost
i admit i am a shambles
they cover themselves in shame

farther, deeper
as though come back from war
trying to pad and prop up to a joy

what use is knowing a lie
everyone sees as true?

So"lo (?), n.; pl. E. Solos (#), It. Soli (#). [It., from L. solus alone. See Sole, a.] (Mus.)

A tune, air, strain, or a whole piece, played by a single person on an instrument, or sung by a single voice.

 

© Webster 1913


So"lo, a. (Music)

Performing, or performed, alone; uncombined, except with subordinate parts, voices, or instruments; not concerted.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.