A term used to variously describe the equipment, location and callsign from which an amateur radio or other radio operator transmits.

A stack of radio transmitter gear in the corner of an office represents the operator's physical station, or "ham shack."

The location where the FCC license is issued is also referred to as the station, regardless of whether there is permanent equipment placed there.

When the operator is on the air, they can announce themselves as "amateur radio station" and then their callsign, from whatever equipment they happen to be using and wherever they are, because the station also refers to the license holder.

I'm not all that amazed that Webster 1913 doesn't have this definition; "station" in Australian English also means, simply, "large farm" or "ranch"

  1. Ban Ban Springs Station is about 200 miles from Darwin.
  2. Do you know when Mount Ringwood Station will come in for their mail?
  3. How long you been jackaroo on cattle stations?

In the second example, the typical rural English trick of applying the property name to the people who live there is being used. In the third example, the grammar is incorrect, but accurate.

This usage probably comes about as a conflation of the 3(b), 3 (c), and 4 definitions below, as well as the radio meaning above. As most large farms in Australia are extremely remote, in times gone past their only method of contact with the outside world was by shortwave radio. Yes, they didn't have phones; yes, this was still true as recently as the late 1970s.

NOTE: Since the re-input of the Webster 1913 text, this definition has been added! Which shows, if nothing else, that "station" being used in this sense is quite probably more than 100 years old.

Sta"tion (?), n. [F., fr. L. statio, from stare, statum, to stand. See Stand.]

1.

The act of standing; also, attitude or pose in standing; posture. [R.]

A station like the herald, Mercury.
Shak.

Their manner was to stand at prayer, whereupon their meetings unto that purpose . . . had the names of stations given them.
Hooker.

2.

A state of standing or rest; equilibrium. [Obs.]

All progression is performed by drawing on or impelling forward some part which was before in station, or at quiet.
Sir T. Browne.

3.

The spot or place where anything stands, especially where a person or thing habitually stands, or is appointed to remain for a time; as, the station of a sentinel. Specifically:

(a)

A regular stopping place in a stage road or route; a place where railroad trains regularly come to a stand, for the convenience of passengers, taking in fuel, moving freight, etc.

(b)

The headquarters of the police force of any precinct.

(c)

The place at which an instrument is planted, or observations are made, as in surveying.

(d) (Biol.)

The particular place, or kind of situation, in which a species naturally occurs; a habitat.

(e) (Naut.)

A place to which ships may resort, and where they may anchor safely.

(f)

A place or region to which a government ship or fleet is assigned for duty.

(g) (Mil.)

A place calculated for the rendezvous of troops, or for the distribution of them; also, a spot well adapted for offensive measures. Wilhelm (Mil. Dict.).

(h) (Mining)

An enlargement in a shaft or galley, used as a landing, or passing place, or for the accomodation of a pump, tank, etc.

4.

Post assigned; office; the part or department of public duty which a person is appointed to perform; sphere of duty or occupation; employment.

By spending this day [Sunday] in religious exercises, we acquire new strength and resolution to perform God's will in our several stations the week following.
R. Nelson.

5.

Situation; position; location.

The fig and date -- why love they to remain
In middle station, and an even plain?
Prior.

6.

State; rank; condition of life; social status.

The greater part have kept, I see,
Their station.
Milton.

They in France of the best rank and station.
Shak.

7. (Eccl.)

(a)

The fast of the fourth and sixth days of the week, Wednesday and Friday, in memory of the council which condemned Christ, and of his passion.

(b) (R. C. Ch.)

A church in which the procession of the clergy halts on stated days to say stated prayers. Addis & Arnold.

(c)

One of the places at which ecclesiastical processions pause for the performance of an act of devotion; formerly, the tomb of a martyr, or some similarly consecrated spot; now, especially, one of those representations of the successive stages of our Lord's passion which are often placed round the naves of large churches and by the side of the way leading to sacred edifices or shrines, and which are visited in rotation, stated services being performed at each; -- called also Station of the cross. Fairholt.

Station bill. (Naut.) Same as Quarter bill, under Quarter. --
Station house.
(a) The house serving for the headquarters of the police assigned to a certain district, and as a place of temporary confinement.
(b) The house used as a shelter at a railway station. --
Station master, one who has charge of a station, esp. of a railway station. --
Station pointer (Surv.), an instrument for locating on a chart the position of a place from which the angles subtended by three distant objects, whose positions are known, have been observed. --
Station staff (Surv.), an instrument for taking angles in surveying. Craig.

Syn. -- Station, Depot. In the United States, a stopping place on a railway for passengers and freight is commonly called a depot: but to a considerable extent in official use, and in common speech, the more appropriate name, station, has been adopted.

 

© Webster 1913


Sta"tion (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stationed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Stationing.]

To place; to set; to appoint or assign to the occupation of a post, place, or office; as, to station troops on the right of an army; to station a sentinel on a rampart; to station ships on the coasts of Africa.

He gained the brow of the hill, where the English phalanx was stationed.
Lyttelton.

 

© Webster 1913


Sta"tion, n.

In Australia, a sheep run or cattle run, together with the buildings belonging to it; also, the homestead and buildings belonging to such a run.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.