Water polo is essentially like soccer, using your hands, in a pool that you can't stand in. Fine, so maybe waterpolo is not like soccer. It's played with a ball about the same size and material as a volleyball, but with enough texture that you can easily hold it. The goals are probably about 10 feet wide and 5 feet high (estimate).

Water polo is actually an Olympic Sport, which is not too surprising considering the other esoteric sports that are out there. Some people were able to play water polo in highschool (thereby skipping out on other sports *grin*) and it's often offered as an intramural college sport. However, often as such, it is played with inner tubes. This, although it can be fun, and less physically demanding than "real water polo", can be derided by people who play the sport. Playing in an inner tube is almost as kludgy as playing in a banana boat.

Water polo is actually an incredibly tough sport, and requires an amazing amount of body strength and endurance to play. Goalies, which in a regulation-sized pool have no bottom to stand on, must use their legs to tread and propel themselves upwards with at least half of their body out of the water to block the ball. Fouls are generally encouraged, because it stops the person with the ball, and allows play to continue down the pool. Only fouls from behind, or using two hands on a player are call for a kick out.

The main difference between water polo and other sports is that due to the water slowing play down, there is a lot more emphasis on raw ability, endurance, and strategy as opposed to pure speed.