David Icke was invited to speak at our college last week by the Sci-Fi Society (appropriate?) Anyway, a few of us went along (really for some pre-drinks entertainment) to what turned into an almost 3-hour talk.

It seems that everything written above about Icke has involved reptiles, but interestingly, this wasn't mentioned at all during the evening. In fairness he was moving along pretty swiftly, having only half his usual 5-hour time available to him, so some stuff was inevitably excluded. There was some distinct laughter from the audience of 200+ college students; there were fleeting remarks such as "... so, after they killed Kennedy...".

I'd never heard of him before I went, but I'm sure that if he had gone into the whole lizard-thing, a lot of people would have stood up and left. But he didn't and they didn't - in fact many people came out smiling, feeling better about themselves and the world around them, despite the underlying doom and gloom of the conspiracy theories.

Here's why: the main thrust of the talk was threefold. Firstly, he told the audience not to be controlled by fear - to think for themselves and feel and act how they wanted. Secondly, we were warned to ignore and oppose those who tried to control us and speak for us. And finally, he asked us never to impose our views on others.

As if this wasn't mild enough, he took the extra step of beginning the talk by telling the audience he didn't care what others thought of him or his ideas; he wasn't trying to force anything on us because that would make him as bad as those he was trying to denounce. He also ended with the words "Thanks for coming tonight, I hope you got something out of it" - very casual words indeed, designed to relax and put the audience at ease.

So judging from the writeups and information above, one of two things has happened. Either Icke himself has considerably toned down his personal views, or else he has massaged them for the audience (I definitely know that a lot of his September 11th views would not have been accepted in the States, at all) - whether this was a sinister or simply a wise choice to make is debatable.