The ollie, one of the most fundamental and basic tricks in skateboarding, is effectively a jump while keeping the board stuck to your feet (ie, the board goes up and comes down with you). It's used as a simple way to jump curbs and over obstacles. It must be mastered before an adept can attempt more complex tricks. It is by no means the singularly most important trick. To say that would be akin to saying the heart is the most important organ in your body - you still can't live without your liver, or brain, lungs, etc.

It was invented (and named after) Andrew "Ollie" Gelfand in the mid-1970s when skateboarding was still developmental, although it had been around since the 1950s. It subsequently led to a dramatic evolutionary rise in skateboarding. The highest ollie is 113 cm / 44.5 inches performed by Danny Wainright in 1999 for a cool $10,000. Despite being a relatively simple trick, its mechanics are fairly complex.

The stance for the ollie varies, but the back foot must be on the tail of the board, and the front is generally somewhere in the middle. What happens is the skater pushes down hard with the front foot, lifting his body. Just as he is about to go up, he slams the back foot down on the tail of the skateboard (causing it to tilt up) while simultaneously lifting the front foot and sliding it up the board. This causes the front of the board to lift and attempt to back flip. However the front foot drags up the board and levels it, as well as adding further vertical lift. Upon landing, ideally the feet should land directly over the trucks, or you run the risk of snapping the board.

More complex tricks, such as the kickflip, heelflip shuv-it flip, hardflip, 180-ollie and others use an ollie combined with the flick of the foot. Of course there is much more to these tricks that simply that, I'm merely demonstrating the importance of the ollie.

See basic skateboard terminology to understand the skateboard, and note I referred to the skater as a male for simplicitys sake only - I discourage the idea that skateboarding is an exclusively male sport.