PuckMan's name comes from the Japanese slang word "paku-paku" (to eat). PuckMan is the real name of the game, but it was changed to Pacman before a US release, so that the little punks would not scratch the arcade cabinet to change it to FuckMan (would have brought a whole new dimension to the game, though).

PuckMan was designed in 1980 by Toru Iwantani and programmed by Hideyuki Mokajima and his crew (three other people -- with a total of five people, the game took a year and a half to complete, particularly because of the work on the IA, which they wanted to be challenging enough).

Toru Iwantani was very hungry when he created PuckMan : he ordered a whole pizza, and when he took one slice, got the idea for the character. Hence the food-related name, and eating-oriented goal.

PuckMan is probably the most famous video-game character, before Mario and Lara Croft. It is also the greatest selling video game of all times and inspired cartoons, songs and lots of merchandising.

PuckMan-related quote (often read on UseNet, author unknown) : "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

Looking for the best patterns? Check : http://www.classicgaming.com/ rcatt/pacpatterns.html

Finally, do not forget to check those other nodes for more info : Pacman ; Pac Man



Source :
  • M.A.M.E - www.mame.net
  • personal gaming experience