Here is a way to make a vegetable curry that is not just brown gack:

Ingredients

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil or butter gently in a large pan, add the onions and fry gently until they are softened (transparent).
  2. Add the spices and garlic, fry for 1 minute, stirring.
  3. Add the carrots, fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring.
  4. Add stock, and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Add courgettes and cauliflower.
  7. Cook around 10 more minutes, until the carrots are done but not until the cauliflower goes soft and squishy. Hard carrot is far preferable to squishy cauliflower.
  8. Stir in the nuts and yoghurt and heat through.

Serve with rice, naan, chapati, cucumber in yoghurt, imagination...

Variants

  • You can double the quantities of spices and garlic with no ill effects.
  • If you like coriander, add some whole seeds and enjoy the taste exploding in your mouth when you bite on them.
  • Add some potatoes at the same time as the carrots. You'll need more oil and spices.
  • Use broccoli instead of cauliflower.
  • Add other vegetables.
  • Leave out vegetables.

This recipe is derived from one in a vegetarian cookery book in which none of the other recipes were any good at all. It therefore gets no credit, especially since I no longer have it and have forgotten what it was called.