I might be wrong.
I might be wrong.
I could have sworn.
I saw a light.
Coming home.

Today started off as a horrendously awful day. Gas was turned off for 2 days, thus no hot water. I was filthy, I was hungry, we had no food, I had no plans for the day, and didn't think I would have any.
My destiny for the day was already set. My job was to sit at home and be filthyuntil the gas man came and turned it back on. Tomorrow, I work. Saturday the girlfriend is out of town. Sunday, I work again, but that's not for long. So 3 and half days alone. My biggest concern is getting clean, clean for nobody but myself.

Where'd you park the car?
Where'd you park the car?
Clothes are on the lawn with the furniture.
Now I might as well.
I might as well.

Around noon, I phone my girlfriend's house, hoping maybe she'll come over. She doesn't usually come over, well, doesn't ever come over. I bring her here, or I go to her house, but she's never just gotten on the bus and come here before. Oh. She's not home. She went to the college to get her ID. Thank you. Bye. I'm sad. Oh hey, the College bus comes almost right to my house, she'll probably jump on the bus and surprise me! Yay. Oh christ, I'm filthy. I had the most excruciatingly cold shower ever. Hardly a shower, in fact. Most of my bathing was done at the sink, with liquid soap and a washcloth. My hair took a long time to wash, squatting in the icy bathtub with my head under the tap. I have longish hair, the knots were brutal to brush out. Now I'm clean, and very cold.

When I am king, you will be first against the wall.
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all.
What's this...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)
What's this...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)

Then the phone rings. I never pick up the phone, it's always creditors hunting down my mother. Oops, it was a payphone, according to the caller ID. Probably girlfriend. Hey, she called back. Oh, she's on her way to my house? Great! All shock value is lost. But at least the doubts about her actually coming are erased. Now I clean my room up halfassed, dirty dishes still strewn about the room. I go upstairs, intending to make Kraft Dinner. She comes sauntering up the street. I stand waiting at the door all creepy like, and indeed, she is creeped out. I swear I wasn't standing there waiting the whole time. Honest.
She comes in, we eat Kraft Dinner, we have danishes she bought at Tim Hortons. Stressing they were bought, not stolen. She works at this place, so it's an honour to have it bought for you. We go downstairs, I pop Vanilla Sky into my horrid PS2/DVD hybrid, and mess with the controls and languages and start the film. We watch the movie la dee da, I love Vanilla Sky. I saw the premiere of it long ago. Not many people will agree, but it is a heartwrenching work of staggering genius. And they play two Radiohead songs, which immediately puts me into a Radiohead trip, as you can clearly tell.

Was that the doorbell? No. 5 minutes later. Was that the doorbell? Yes. Come on in. (Hurry the fuck up.) It's right downstairs. Here's the light. (Just ignite the fucking thing and go.) He goes. We're really not paying attention to the movie anymore. Maybe I'll watch the rest by myself later. Probably not.
Hot water is working back through our pipes in healthy abundance. We have our fun and pack up to catch the bus back to her house. On the street, mother drives by. Go away mom. She rolls down the window. Yes, the water is fixed. A ride? Sure, what the hell. Beats the bus. We get a ride home. I come home. Here I am, typing this. On my Radiohead kick.

I'm a reasonable man.
Get off, get off, get off my case.
I'm a reasonable man.
Get off my case, get off my case.

And there are many more exciting plans set for the coming weeks. Even September 11th, 2002 looks like it'll be fun. Free pancakes.