Scorpius is a constellation resembling a scorpion, a fishhook, or the letter J. It contains the brilliant red star Antares.

In Maori legend, Maui raised up the islands from the underworld with a fishhook, and discarded it into the sky.

In Greek legend, Hera commanded a scorpion to kill Orion.

There is a gap between the head part, containing Antares, and the tail part, and some cultures see it as two constellations. In Navaho legend, the head is called First Big One and the tail is Rabbit Tracks.

In Skidi Pawnee legend, the head is a snake, and the tail is the important constellation of the Swimming Ducks: the rising of these in the morning was central to the calibration of their ceremonial calendar.

Messier nebulae in Scorpius are M4, M6 (the Butterfly Cluster), M7 (Ptolemy's Cluster), and M80.

Antares is in the thorax; near it towards the head is a star Al Niyat; in the claws are Acrab and Dschubba. At the tip of the stinger are two stars Shaula and Lesath.

There were two versions of the Latin word for scorpion, scorpius and scorpio. The latter is still in use in some quarters as a so-called zodiac sign; it was the older word, the former being a re-formation after Greek skorpios.

I don't think it makes any sense to say where it is because I suspect that depends on where you are and also which way up you're standing.


Thanks to Noether for C!ing this, thereby putting me onto Everything Best Users.