One of the items that resided in the tabernacle constructed by the Jews as they fled Egypt. Instructions for it and the rest of the tabernacle were given to Moses while at Mt. Sinai.

The ark itself was constructed of acacia wood overlaid with gold and built to specific dimensions. The ark was topped by two golden cherubim and was carried by two poles, also made of acacia and overlaid in gold.

The ark itself contained three items from Israel's history. They were:

  • The pieces of the tablets from Mt. Sinai on which the Ten Commandments were written
  • The staff of the first high priest Aaron which budded to show that he possessed God's favor
  • A jar containing manna, the food that God provided as the nation of Israel travelled to the Promised Land.

The ark of the covenant resided in the tabernacle in an area known as the Holy of Holies. This area was separated from the rest of the tabernacle by a thick curtain known as the veil. When the presence of God, known as the shekinah glory came into the tabernacle, it rested over the ark of the covenant. The book of Hebrews in the New Testament tells us that the tabernacle is a shadow of Heaven, making the ark of the covenant an earthly manifestation of the throne of God.

Very specific instructions were given the children of Israel concerning the ark of the convenant. It was to always be carried with the two poles, by priests. It was to never be placed on a cart or the like. Touching the ark would bring death to the person touching the ark because it was the picture of the holiness of God.

On the Day of Atonement, the high priest would cleanse himself and enter the Holy of Holies to make atonement for the sins of the nation. This was the one day during the year when someone could enter the Holy of Holies. If the high priest entered into the Holy Place in an unclean manner, he would immediately be struck dead by the presence of God. As no one else could enter until the next year, this presented a problem for the priests, but one that God had already taken care of. The high priest's robes were built with bells lining the bottom so that they jingled when he moved. The priests would tie a rope to the leg of the high priest and if a long period passed without them hearing the jingle of the bells, they would haul the body out with the rope.