To try and define yourself by the symbolic structures handed down to you by society is wrong, and as such a rejection of one's own moral principles and escape into nihilism, as defined in the core of Satanism is also wrong. The sense of alienation as described by those living through another's will only exists because they do not identify enough with others to comprehend their value systems.

Now while a person may reject these value systems outright, they will be well advised to examine the reasoning behind these value systems, and their relationship to the reality that they have experienced. After all, a philosophy that tries to let you define your own limits, presumes that you know where those limits should be. As most philosophers of note will readily state, most people have no idea of their own abilities, physical, mental or moral.

A process of exploration must of course occur, and the denial of the meaning that one has drawn from one's relation to life so far, is I believe a mistake, as it denies you a context. In short one's retreat into nihilism, and an alternative lifestyle in which to express themselves, may very well be a mistake when we say that the absence of Christian values is Darkness and Evil, and therefore implies Satan, whereas in actuality the absence, is well, just absence.

A person cannot live in a nihilistic vacuum for long though, we need beliefs, and if one is to try and rebuild these beliefs on the basis of rationality, one must concede that rationality is itself based on belief and assumption, and that true life and enlightenment isn't a lack of belief or religious scene, but rather a selection of the right one for oneself. This again comes through a process of discovery and clear thinking, not by retreating into a falsely degraded version of an existing belief mode that one has tried to escape. So it probably isn't a good idea to be a Satanist.