A movie serial from 1946. It was directed by Fred C. Brannon and William Witney and written by Albert DeMond, Basil Dickey, Jesse Duffy, and Sol Shor. The 12 episodes in the series averaged only about 15 minutes each, which was fairly typical for the serials.

"The Crimson Ghost" starred Charles Quigley, Linda Stirling, Clayton Moore, I. Stanford Jolley, Kenne Duncan, Forrest Taylor, Emmett Vogan, Sam Flint, Joseph Forte, Stanley Price, Wheaton Chambers, Tom Steele, Dale Van Sickel, Rex Lease, and Fred Graham.

The basic plot of this mystery-action-thriller (with a name like "The Crimson Ghost," you knew it didn't involve domestic comedy, right?) involves an evil criminal genius called the Crimson Ghost who wants to steal a device called the Cyclotrode, which can short-circuit every piece of electrical equipment on the planet! My God! We'll have no power to heat our homes, to run our vehicles, to power our computers! Owls will deafen us with incessant hooting! Can no one save us? What? Good guys and heroes? Well, that's a relief.

The Crimson Ghost (no one knows his true identity because he wears a skull mask all the time) doesn't do his dirty work himself -- he has an army of henchmen, who he sends out seeking either the Cyclotrode itself or the proper parts to build it. He communicates with his minions by radio and requires them all to wear what he calls a "death-collar," which he can activate by remote control to kill the wearer if they are not properly obedient. The death-collar will also activate if anyone tries to remove it. Sounds like an unpleasant job -- though I guess it must be better than telemarketing.

Nowadays, this serial is best known because punk-thrash band the Misfits uses an image of the Crimson Ghost on a lot of their stuff. Ya know all those black Misfits T-shirts with the skull-faced guy leering on 'em? That's the Crimson Ghost, man.

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com). I've never gotten to see this serial, but I hope I can track it down sometime -- I've tended to enjoy the few mystery serials I've been able to see...