I am pregnant. I am pregnant!

Warning: biological girly-stuff details to follow.

Approximately four weeks ago, I went to Planned Parenthood for the morning-after pill. I was given the aptly-named brand Plan B and sent on my way. I'd rather not discuss the details of why Plan A failed.

So when my monthly came last week, and was two light days instead of eight heavy days of stained underpants, I didn't really think too much of it. After all, I'd been warned that the morning-after pill, essentially two strong doses of the regular Pill, could interfere with my cycle. But when, a few days later, I had some spotting, that I did think was a bit amiss.

And suddenly it dawned on me. I KNEW. But I had to be sure. So first I went to the dollar store and bought a pregnancy test. One strong pink line (the control) and one weak pink line (the test). But it came from the dollar store... what if it wasn't accurate? So I went to Plastic Mart and bought a 3-pack of the cheapest brand that wasn't the store brand. One strong pink line (the control) and a faint pink line (the test) formed a plus sign. But it said that the most accurate way to use it would be to use the first urine of the day. So in the morning, one strong pink line (the control) and a faint pink line (the test) formed a plus sign. I called Planned Parenthood.

At Planned Parenthood, they gave me a little cup to pee in. They used a stick test not dissimilar to the ones I'd used at home. Before they sent me in to pee, they asked a few questions. The first was easy. Had I used a home pregnancy test? Yes. Two. They wanted to know, would I be having a baby or an abortion? I said I would choose, from the options given in delicate terms (adoption, parenting, termination), parenting. So I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised when the woman who gave me the result said, "Congratulations!" But I was. And I felt a little offended. Who was she to congratulate me? I'm sure she thought my completely blank affect was a little strange for someone who'd decided to keep the baby. After all, you're supposed to be excited, right? I've always been pro-choice. And that hasn't changed. I've always believed that a woman should have the option of abortion, but always known it wasn't an option I could choose. I would feel the loss too deeply. But that didn't mean that this momentous change in my life would be something I could swallow in one gulp. I wasn't ready for congratulations. Especially from a stranger. That was Friday.

I went home and used the third of the three-pack of home pregnancy tests I'd bought. Just in case. And then I called and made an appointment with a doctor at the clinic I've used since I was born. My primary, the doctor who delivered me, is retiring at the end of the year, so he's not taking any new OB patients. So now I have a new primary, a family practitioner who takes OB patients. His soonest available appointment was today. Monday. And when he said congratulations, I was happy and excited. This time, I was ready for it. I brought a paper from Planned Parenthood saying they'd done a pregnancy test. So instead of doing another one, he used a portable ultrasound machine to confirm it. Not much to see, yet, but there is a little baby seed in there.

Yesterday, Sunday, Mother's Day, I told my mom. The first words out of her mouth were, "I thought you knew how to prevent that." I cried.