The main character of this film, Spab Stephen Dorff, an upper class teen Reese Witherspoon, and Spab's friend Jack Noseworthy are trapped at gunpoint in a convenience store by terrorists.

The terrorists are constantly filming them for the duration of their captivity. Unbeknownst to them, an hour of every day's filming is sent to the news networks, on the basis that if the networks don't play what is sent, a hostage will be killed.

Spab, quickly followed by the others, gives up all hope and takes refuge in nihilsm, i.e., So Fucking What.

Upon running out of beer, they revolt and kill the terrorists, though Noseworthy's character is killed, and Spab wounded in the process.

Spab discovers that, upon getting out of the hospital, he has gone from being white trash to:

  1. A media messiah and national sensation to the media and public,
  2. A rich opportunity for his parents to exploit for money, and
  3. Not anywhere near as nihilistic as he had resolved himself to be, when it seemed he might die at any moment.

Spab leaves home and travels around the state. He becomes an outlaw, a media celebrity, and finally a target for other media celerities, all while trying to find out who he truly is outside of the hype, and what he truly wants.

The film will quite likely be very uncomfortable for anybody who wants clear, definite answers. It's more like a series of vinettes and glimpses than a solid story, so you really have to think for yourself about what you're getting out of it.