"So fucking what?"

A somewhat pointless counterculture film starring Stephen Dorff and Reese Witherspoon, about a loser (Dorff) who becomes a unwilling celebrity after being held captive in a convenience store for thirty-six days, but only seeks to find the girl he was trapped with (Witherspoon).

Raises some interesting points about the price of fame, especially fame cast upon those who value their privacy, but unfortunately, there's not much of a story. Still, it's got Reese Witherspoon.

The main character of this film, Spab Stephen Dorff, an upper class teen Reese Witherspoon, and Spab's friend Jack Noseworthy are trapped at gunpoint in a convenience store by terrorists.

The terrorists are constantly filming them for the duration of their captivity. Unbeknownst to them, an hour of every day's filming is sent to the news networks, on the basis that if the networks don't play what is sent, a hostage will be killed.

Spab, quickly followed by the others, gives up all hope and takes refuge in nihilsm, i.e., So Fucking What.

Upon running out of beer, they revolt and kill the terrorists, though Noseworthy's character is killed, and Spab wounded in the process.

Spab discovers that, upon getting out of the hospital, he has gone from being white trash to:

  1. A media messiah and national sensation to the media and public,
  2. A rich opportunity for his parents to exploit for money, and
  3. Not anywhere near as nihilistic as he had resolved himself to be, when it seemed he might die at any moment.

Spab leaves home and travels around the state. He becomes an outlaw, a media celebrity, and finally a target for other media celerities, all while trying to find out who he truly is outside of the hype, and what he truly wants.

The film will quite likely be very uncomfortable for anybody who wants clear, definite answers. It's more like a series of vinettes and glimpses than a solid story, so you really have to think for yourself about what you're getting out of it.

So you're gonna die someday. Of cancer. Of stupidity. Of AIDS. In a car wreck. In a senseless act of violence. Of old age.
So fucking what?

So you got abused as a kid. Had the shit beat out of you. Lost your wife and kids. Your best friend. Religion.
So fucking what?

You bitch and you fucking moan about how life has been cruel, how it doesn't care about anyone or anything. You can't run from it 'cus it tracks you down wherever you go and doesn't stop until you give everyone that photo-op, a big fucking smile and a handshake.
So fucking what?

You are all mindless sheep, being led to the slaughter by your betters. White trash, rich yuppies, punks, thugs, problem children, stars, junkies- you're all being led around by your fucking noses into a hum-drum life that you're expected to enjoy, against your will. And you know what? It sucks. Sometimes.
So fucking what?

There aren't any answers out there. Not in TV, the news, God, your parents, your friends. Nowhere but you- YOU'VE got all the answers, but you can't share them with anyone else because you're you and no one can be you. You're a fucking mystery to everyone else, even yourself.
So fucking what?

At some point something's got to give. Something's got to get out of your way, yank that goddamn chain everyone's been leading you around with, and snap you out of it. A shock to the system, something. Like getting held hostage for a fucking month in a Stop-N-Rob while the motherfuckers record everything and kill your best friend, who hasn't hurt anyone in his life.
So fucking what?

It's not a religious movement. It's not some cool revelation for the ages. It's not cool at all. It's just life. And it's the coolest thing there is.
So fucking what?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.