Steve Irwin is the type of character who has the ability to evoke varied emotions amongst his viewers. Often laughter (whether with him, or at him), respect for the work he does, admiration for the fact that the man can take his unique personality, and use it to further his passions across the world. Unfortunately over the last few days, one emotion seems to be more prominent than any other.

Bloody idiot.

This type of reaction probably comes as no real surprise to the vast majority of those familiar with Irwin's antics - how else would most people react to a man who wrestles crocodiles, seems to have a complete lack of fear when it comes to the most venomous creatures in the world, and who will get down on his belly, slithering along a river bank with a lizard (and looking as though he's more comfortable moving this way than walking). However this time, rather than the usual shake of the head in amazement at the danger he puts himself in, the reaction has been one of anger.

On the 2nd of January, 2004, Steve Irwin conducted a show at his Australia Zoo. Nothing particularly unusual there - these shows are common, the highlight generally being Steve Irwin in a crocodile enclosure, feeding a large crocodile. The crowd will cringe, ohh and ahh as he holds out a piece of meat to a large reptile, dropping it into the animals opened jaws, seemingly getting far closer than common sense would dictate before letting the meal out of his hands. All good entertainment, the crowd gets to see Irwin risking life and limb in the flesh, all the while gaining an education on these animals. This show was a little different to the normal however.

In his right hand, Irwin held a chunk of meat for a large, hungry crocodile. Tucked under his left arm, he held his one month old son, Bob.

The backlash was immediate and severe. Queensland’s Department of Families has requested unedited video footage of the incident, following scores of complaints from the public - both those at the show, and those who saw footage on TV. Queensland police investigated the incident, but will not be laying charges. The story was splashed across news headlines both in Australia and overseas - The New York Daily News ran a headline 'Steve Irwin - Australian for Stupid', while the UK's The Daily Mirror ran with 'Crocky Horror Show'.

Irwin has said since, "If I had the time again maybe I would do it differently", while also stating "But it's all about perceived danger . . . I was in full control." Comparisons have been made between this incident, and Michael Jackson holding his son over the edge of a balcony. It appears that these comparisons have deeply hurt Irwin, and he has claimed to be considering a withdrawal from the public eye following the outcry over his actions.

Unfortunately, Irwin seems to have some very strange ideas regarding the actions he took, and doesn't really seem to understand why there has been such an outcry over what has been widely described as a stunt. News reports have contained a number of quotes by Irwin - some of these are listed below, along with some thoughts of mine.


"If you knew how much I loved my kids . . . you would know that I would never, ever, put them in any danger, not in a million years."

Unfortunately though, this is exactly what Irwin did. I have no doubt that he respects the creatures he has made the focal point of his life. I have no doubt that he realises that he is putting his own life in danger every time he steps into an enclosure with an adult crocodile, feeding it by hand. I would hope that he never loses respect for these creatures, and thinks himself immune to the danger they pose. Wild animals are unpredictable - never forget this Steve.

"Children need to be taught the dangers of crocodiles."

Being the son or daughter of Steve Irwin, I imagine that learning the danger of crocodiles would be very important. However, Irwin's son is one month old. At this age, a child has not gained the ability to sense colour, has no control of eye muscles, and has only the most basic sensory capabilities. A one month old child in the presence of a crocodile is learning nothing.

"Every time I put my children in my car I am scared because my wife and I have no control over the traffic"

This said in defence of his actions, and an apparent attempt to reinforce how much Irwin and his wife Terri do think about putting their children in danger. The problem here is that although the words are true - you do have no control over the traffic, and there is always the risk that an idiot driver will cause an accident, taking your child into a crocodile enclosure is an entirely different prospect. However much Irwin wants to disbelieve it, he has no control over a large crocodile. He does however, have the option to not expose a helpless baby to this danger. Even though the road may pose more danger, this is no justification for exposing your child to additional danger.


Unfortunately, Irwin has only made matters worse for himself. The day after the incident with Bob, the Irwin's 5 year old daughter was ordered into a crocodile enclosure during another public show, and made to thrash around in the water in an effort to encourage the crocodiles to come out. Terri is quoted as saying "Now flail around and look helpless. That's the girl - good girl." Irwin then tastelessly described his daughter as "the other white meat". The door to the adjoining crocodile enclosure was closed, Bindi was never in any danger.

The most disturbing aspect of this behaviour is that although Irwin steadfastly maintains that his actions are designed to teach his children, who are destined to grow up exposed to many dangerous creatures, to be croc savvy, he contradicts himself. Thrashing around at the edge of the water in order to encourage crocodiles to come out is in no way a technique designed to ensure his child’s safety. This is a high risk behaviour, taught to a child who may not understand what she is doing - let alone the children watching this display.

The fallout from these incidents has not settled yet - whether Irwin will withdraw from public life or not is something that remains to be seen. Regardless of his decision, The Crocodile Hunter has dropped several levels in the estimation of many people. Irwin is now learning that while the public will laugh, gasp, and respect what he does himself, matters are very different when his children come into the equation.





Sources:

www.news.com.au
www.smh.com.au
www.abc.net.au