Okay, so I think I figured out a good way to punish and reward people. Every day, my boy, you’re going to get a certain number of disposable hands. With these hands, you can either pat people who you like (so that they feel good) or slap them (so that they feel bad). You can use these to rate the quality of the sand castles that people build while they’re in my little sandbox. And here’s the kicker—the more times you get patted, the more hands you get each day!

Sounds okay, I guess…

Oh, one more thing…I don’t care all that much about how you use your hands. They’re yours, they’re anonymous, and I don’t take them all that seriously. Woe to those that do!!!

Okay. I guess I’ll slap this guy I don’t like a bunch of times each day, then.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, you can’t do that.

Huh? Why, is that against the rules?

Well not exactly. But you’re supposed to use them to rate the work that others are doing!

But you just said you didn’t care how I used my hands.

You’re using the system in a way it wasn’t intended for!

Really? How do you figure? Hands are intended to be used to either pat or slap people, and I’m using them to slap people.

No, no, no. What I mean is that you’re supposed to use them RESPONSIBLY. You’re just using them to hurt people!

But you JUST SAID you didn’t care how I used them. Look—“I don’t take them all that seriously. Woe to those that do!!!” You said that five minutes ago! *I* obviously don’t take them seriously, why are you getting so upset about this all of a sudden? Besides, why do I even have to defend myself against this when these hands are supposed to be anonymous--even from you?

Doesn’t it upset you that this guy you’re slapping is doing the same exact thing to you?

Actually, I think it’s pretty funny. It doesn’t change the quality of the sand castles I build here, so what the hell’s the difference? I come here to build pretty sand castles, flinging these hands back and forth is just for shits and giggles. I’ve apparently upset him enough to complain to you, which was the point of the exercise in the first place.

So you wouldn’t mind if I slapped you, say, 2000 times?

Go for it, chief. If it’ll make you feel better.